Tuesday, May 18, 2010

When the grass is not green anywhere

Okay, forgive the completely insane title. But still. You working outside the home parents/future parents? You know how you might have fantasized just a touch about working from home and the paradise that must be? Sitting around in your pjs! Your boss a mere blip on the screen! Baby care so easy!

Ha ha ha. I'm here to burst your bubbles.

Working from home with a mobile infant sucks. Once they master the forward crawl and the screech? It's all over. And you're sitting around in those pjs, feeling all slovenly, rushing from task to task with half a brain, while you fume about the disgusting cesspit your house has become after months of half-neglect.

I don't know if dropping your dearest little one off at daycare for 8 hours a day is any easier. We can discuss that. But I do know that writing something while someone summarily demolishes the room behind you is very difficult. Especially if they can scream at dolphin frequencies when bored/sad/confused/frustrated.

6 comments:

N said...

I can't imagine it's easy at all. MAYBE when they're a little smaller (and not mobile) or a little bigger (and can occasionally amuse themselves), but not at this stage.

I'm still jealous, though. She's with the babysitter for 10 hours, I don't get any interaction with her for 11 (with the drive to babysitter's), and the only hour or so I do have with her, she's usually spending most of it a screaming fool because she's exhausted and starving and needs to go to bed.

If but it were only 8 hours.

Denise said...

I can't comment from experience on the working from home (or being a SAHM for that matter), but I have a feeling being any type of mom is hard! It probably depends on the person which is harder. For me, being at work in an office feels like a relaxing vacation on Mondays after a weekend of full out 24 hour a day mommyhood. I'm amazed at the energy it must take to be a SAHM and I'm amazed at the multi-tasking ability of those who work from home.

Rebeccah said...

Oh man, are you seriously trying to work AND take care of Bruiser? Ouch!!!!

The Mister thought he was going to be able to work from home and take care of the baby, and I kept telling him "It's Not Possible" and he kept not believing me ... until we brought Squeaker home and he experienced the reality of it, and there we were, him trying to finish writing/editing three books (all of them way past deadline, of course) and me with my full-time job pelting me with emails and phone calls. And all of a sudden, we were hiring a part-time nanny. And 16 months later, we still can't get it all done ...

Anyway, you have my condolences!

kate said...

I wonder all the time what life as a SAHM will be like. I don't have the added complication of work (mostly because I have yet to find any sort of appealing career path. And because I'm exceedingly lazy...), but I wonder whether or not I will wish I could send the boys for daycare outside the home on occasion. Ah, well. It will be interesting to see how things unfold...

Me said...

My sister used to have to pick her kids up from daycare and then come back into the office to finish off the last few minutes of work. That "few minutes" always turned into an hour. My observation was that once the kid is over about 6 months old you can forget trying to "work" and care for them at the same time.

luna said...

um, yeah. welcome to my life, at least a few days a week. the 2 days I go into the office are the only days I know I can get a full day in. at home, it is impossible. everyone recommended a sitter or nanny to occupy the baby while I can work, but we could only afford a few hours/week and I haven't found the right person yet. good luck!