...to the Misfit. I'm stealing a page from her decorating playbook.
So, our kitchen in the Crazy House is a room. With some outlets and a gas line snaking out. Blank slate.
It does have pretty nice wood floors, in need of some simple sanding and sealing. It has a two old exterior doors with transoms and two large windows, one facing south. So it's a high, potentially very bright and pleasant room. As we're planning to have a small farm operation, we're going to need a very utilitarian space, which goes with the simple yet graceful old spirit of the house.
This is a bit precious, but I'm thinking along these lines:
We're also planning on a large triple steel sink, commercial grade. It has the same vibe (right down to the open legs) as old enamel sinks, and believe me, the farmers who built our place would have been all about stainless, had it been around. Though I just want plain old white appliances.
However, the sink will need some contextualizing, with some nice cabinetry/open shelves, that have few little touches. A simpler version of this, perhaps:
I love the peaked open cabinet doors. This would be simple to do ourselves (and my man is a fine woodworker/instrument builder). I'd like to design something that echoes some of the gingerbread and/or dimensions of the house itself.This kitchen will be a challenge to clutter. I'm sick of owning all sorts of quasi-useless items that get buried in too-deep cabinets or piled in drawers. I want only things I actually use, just a few of them, all out in the open where they can be found in an instant. With a kitchen as big as ours, it will be essential.
4 comments:
Sounds like it will be a great space. Good luck!
Your kitchen ideas are gorgeous!!!!
I've been reading along, and just now getting logged on to comment.
I'm so excited by this house project -- and I'm still stuck on the unbelievable awesomeness of a summer kitchen.
I love the plans for your kitchen -- beauty through utility!
It will come as no surprise that I LOVE this. I love the super-rustic and homey vibe, and the quasi-industrial. Our house (a city dwelling even when it was first built) doesn't lend itself precisely to the farmhouse decor, but I'm going to push it as far in that direction as I can get.
So anyway, you are familiar with houzz.com, right??? I don't recognize your images from there (yes, I have looked at every single traditional and eclectic kitchen photo, and yes, I would recognize them, and no, I don't want to think about how much time that probably took me), so if you haven't checked it out, do!!! It is getting bigger - I started my ideabooks there when the site was fairly new - so if you want to dip a toe in you're more than welcome to look at my ideabooks (the_misfit) - not sure how you search by person, but I think you can.
I LOVE the freestanding furniture idea. In that vein, you have to watch the Miss Marple videos on Netflix - one of them, the one with the tall brunette woman who works as a professional housekeeper and helps Miss Marple by signing on at the household where she thinks the murderer is who strangled a woman on a moving train, has a kitchen in it that is THE KITCHEN. Giant freestanding furniture pieces that I so desperately want despite not having 14' ceilings and, being a very old English kitchen, it is most definitely a working area.
Post a Comment