Saturday, October 10, 2009

The mysteries of "near term"

This is going to be one of those information posts, the virtual breadcrumbs that maybe will be of help to someone out there with a little one born around 37 weeks. Not of much interest to those of you still in the trenches, and only relevant to kids born 36-37 weeks.

Bruiser was typical for many guys his gestational age and/or size: He was strong and a good breather, very active and aware for the first few days and able to get his needs met by nursing. He took to the boob like nobody's business.

Then he stopped. Fortunately for us, our hospital is very, very pro-breastfeeding. We talked to lactation consultants, finally working with a wonderful woman who got us supplementing him with some donor breast milk (our state is one of a mere handful with these amazing institutions--we IFers should rally for more, as they can be real lifelines for premies until your milk arrives) using a little syringe. That kept him from losing much weight.

Now, as near-term babies often face difficulties nursing from the breast, we're continuing to supplement, albeit with my milk. I pump--yes, do go and rent that hospital-grade pump to establish your supply; it's worth every penny--and we feed him with a lactation-consultant approved bottle (and you know it's a decent option if your totally holistic wise woman lactation consultant suggests it).

Now he's already over his birth weight, way before that's expected and he's learning how to nurse a bit more consistently thanks to a nipple shield.

These little near termers also do really well skin to skin, like earlier premies, and need to sleep more to get their grow on. Bruiser is a master napper, though he did exhibit signs the first few days of struggling to stay asleep, another typical pattern for these babies. We've been told to expect a major shift in his behavior at around his EDD, so I'm looking forward to the 40-week mark, when I can just stick him on the boob and be done with it.

Just wanted to put this out there. This approach is based on newish research, and not all pediatricians and obs are aware of the nuances of this particular gestational age, as they usually do splendidly in the hospital, only to face challenges after discharge. My husband thinks of it like the banana bread that just needs a minute or two more in the oven to be just right.

12 comments:

kate said...

That actually sounds really logical to me. We know all about how important those final weeks are, but most health care workers tend to appraise condition in terms of the ability of the infant to survive. Most probably don't bother going deep enough and noticing (as you have found) that those developmental milestones in the last 3-4 weeks of pregnancy are super important to the long term health of the child, even if they aren't ones that necessarily impact survival rates. It's the difference between 'survive' and 'thrive', I think. Good that you guys have such an incredible and understanding team of caretakers to advise you of such things.

Gwynn said...

Love the banana bread analogy!! So wonderful to hear that Bruiser is such a good napper and eater. Keep it up little guy!

battynurse said...

This is really true. When I worked NICU our educator used to say close to term close to trouble. It was often the 35-37 week babies who would develop difficulties and land in the NICU for a few days and the parents often didn't understand that just because they were good on the size side of things they still had some extra challenges those first couple of weeks. I'm glad bruiser is doing well and hope that soon it's all great with no supplementation needed.

G$ said...

Holy shit how did I miss his birth?? So glad he is here and doing well !!! Xoxo

annacyclopedia said...

Thanks for sharing this - definitely something I didn't know and very useful information.

Glad to hear you have lots of support and Bruiser is doing so well.

the misfit said...

..thus leading, invariably, to the conclusion among new mothers that they are BAD MOTHERS. Never having been there, I wouldn't know why, but I am generally bewildered by new mothers' apparent conviction that at any moment they will be responsible for the accidental death of apparently healthy and happy children.

Oh yes also and obviously I am behind and CONGRATULATIONS and I am so happy Bruiser is alive, and well, and here in the world among us! I'm sure punctual arrival would be better in some senses but it must be such a relief to have him out here where you can keep an eye on him!

Ms Heathen said...

Welcome to the world, little Bruiser!

I'm so happy to hear of his safe arrival - congratulations to both you and your husband!

I'm also very glad to hear that you're getting the support you need with regard to breastfeeding - the first few weeks can be tough enough in that respect, even without taking into account his early arrival.

Thinking of you lots.

Jude said...

Oh man I wish that I had that info when my first two kids were born at 35.5 and 36.5 weeks. Everything you described fit their behavior to a tee. I did hang tough and was able to breast feed for many months. When my third was born at 38.5 weeks I thought I won the lottery when he was immedietly more alert and didn't get tired while nursing.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Io said...

It must be frustrating to feel like it's working then have it slide backwards. I didn't know that about our state and donor breast milk - that is really cool and I'm glad you have it available.
I hope your banana bread bakes right up soon.

Denise said...

Don't be disappointed if it takes a bit longer than your due date for Bruiser to move past the near term behaviors. It isn't always like a switch turning on (or off?) and might be gradual (speaking from experience). But he'll get there!

Geeks in Rome said...

WOOOOOOW!! I so missed the whole amazing event! Congratulations :) I am so glad it went so well.

It sounds like you have amazing and competant care right now. Don't lose these people. Make sure you have the same kind of people to help you through the next month+ because no new mother should ever be on her own to figure out what to do.

Colic, reflux, sleep issues, latching issues, booby issues all can be dealt with in ways that foster your self-esteem and relationship with your baby and not make you or the baby seem like retards or in constant need of medical intervention.
Have you looked into pediatricians who also do homeopathic care? they are a god send!!!

I loooove the whole skin-to-skin thing. crucial! especially pre-terms.

IMHO all human babies are born "pre-term" and need to be latched onto us as if they were still in the womb. We're the one mammal that doesn't come shooting out ready to walk and eat like others. I think human babies birth early -- before their head gets too big to pass thru. Then they should be pouched like baby joeys for months.

Have you read Michael Odent? the breast is like an extension of the umbilical cord and the baby still needs that balled up embrace it had in the womb (so swaddling, holding, strapping to your back...)

Big hugs to the well-deserving parents!! and big kiss to the miracle baby !!

TABI said...

Wow, congrats (!!!!) to you and your little Bruiser. So glad everything went well and wishing for more happy eating!