Thursday, October 8, 2009

Deliverance

"Their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."

I gave birth last Friday. All is well.

It didn't start out that way. We went to our 37 week appointment with our midwife. We had a non-reactive NST. Not a sign a doom, but definitely not good. So they gave me an ultrasound. My fluid was finally, actually low and Bruiser had not grown in a week.

The conclusion: induction. We reported to the hospital two hours later, after an emotional and swift housecleaning and a buffalo burger. The plan: start with Cervadil, move to amniotomy, and then pitocin to kick start labor. I was only 1 cm, 50% effaced, so we had what looked like a long road ahead. Vaginal was our ideal, but if Bruiser had shown any signs of distress, I was going on a one-way trip to C-Section Town.

I, in my infinite IF gloom, expected the worst. I settled in for a lengthy, likely painful and disappointing experience. As long as he was okay.

But that's not what happened. Bruiser perked up and seemed to be tolerating everything just fine. At three AM, I began to feel somewhat crampy, as I had been told I would. I got up with a telemetry unit and walked around starting at around 4 AM, finally waddling back to our room at around 5, when I noticed a clear pattern to the crampy feelings. They weren't particularly painful until about an hour later, when our doula arrived and she and my man worked ardently to help me with comfort measures.

Before I knew it, I was convinced I had to poop. It felt like I had terrible constipation, and I really wanted it out of my system before the real labor started. But then the pain kicked in, pain that pushed me into a whole other realm of existance. Everything disappeared around me. I ripped my monitors off, with the nurse's blessing. I crawled around on my hands and knees, yelling for about 15 minutes, until the nurse encourage me, my man, and our doula to get me onto the bed. She did the gentlest digital exam ever (I didn't feel it and didn't care). I asked, desperate, "Am I in transition?"

"You're having this baby now!" she laughed. And I pushed him out in three, irresistable pushes, bellowing with something so deep and primal, I felt as if some other force had taken over my body.

It wasn't an orgasmic birth, but it was profoundly powerful. He was born at 7:40 in the morning, crying and screaming and kicking. He was tiny, but perfect and perfectly healthy. I barely bled (for someone giving birth) and I was up and walking just an hour or so later (no one got a chance to tell me not to go pee yet, so I just up and went).

I was blessed. And that experience, that incredible, unbelievable good fortune, has blasted a huge hole in the wall of grief and bitterness. There is deliverance. There is.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Shinejil!!! Huge congrats!

So glad he is here, safe and sound!

Malloryn said...

Woohoo congratulations! It sounds like it was an amazing experience. I'm glad that baby Bruiser is doing well. Welcome to the world, little one!

VA Blondie said...

Congratulations on the new baby! Glad labor went well. It sounds like a beautiful experience.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all three of you! May your first days together be magical, and may your transition to life together be smooth. Welcome Little Butterfly.

Gwynn said...

OMG!! Congratulations!! Welcome to the world Bruiser!! Happy Birthday!

Susan Jett said...

Oh congratulations. Beautiful post for a lot of reasons, but just purely well written, too. It's good to know this sometimes works out ok.

N said...

Much love and congratulations. I am so, so happy for you. So glad that Buster is safely on this side. And so glad that you've finally had a good experience in all of this.

jill said...

Congratulations!!

A scary start but what a birth! So very awesome to read a happy ending.

loribeth said...

Oh, congratulations!! So happy your midwife was on the ball & everything turned out well.

Do we get to see any pictures of the little guy?

annacyclopedia said...

Oh, my friend! There are truly no words to describe my joy for you. Your birth sounds so amazing and so powerful and I am just thrilled that you have found, at last, this tremendous healing from what you have gone through to get you here.

All my love to you three.

Me said...

Tears and goosebumps over here.

Lea said...

I was wondering why you weren't posting! Congratulations. Your story gives me hope, and that is a great gift. Thank you. Enjoy your sweet little bundle...I know you will. :)

Io said...

Ack. I am actually crying I am so happy for you. Like CRYING. SO happy you got a great birth and so much better, your child.

Jen said...

Oh, Sluggish, wonderful, just wonderful! Enjoy him every moment.

luna said...

Oh my! Not what I was expecting, or you either I bet. But welcome sweet bruiser!!!! Rest well my friend, and enjoy these precious moments.

nancy said...

Congratulations!!! Wow, what a WONDERFUL induction experience. Just wonderful. Congrats again.

Rachel said...

Congratulations!!!

Such a wonderful birth story and I am so glad that all was well after an initial scare.

JellyBelly said...

Oh Shinejil, I'm so absolutely happy for you!!! I'm so glad that Bruiser is here and that you are both happy and healthy.

Big, big hugs to you mama!!!

Denise said...

Oh Shinejil, I have goose bumps. Congratulations to you and your man and happy birthday to tough, little Bruiser!

Stace said...

Congratulations!! So glad that Mommy and Baby are doing well!

'Murgdan' said...

I love this story. I'm so glad it all went so well for you....and I'm so so happy for you!

Melody said...

Good goddess, woman. What an amazing and triumphant story! So happy for you. Details when you have a chance please!

kate said...

Oh, Shinejil!!! Congratulations to you and husband! And welcome to the world, Bruiser!

I am so happy for you. Your birth experience sounds so wonderful. I am so glad it was pretty close to how you wanted it to be (no c-sec, I mean). How wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Deliverance, indeed.

battynurse said...

So happy for you. So happy for your deliverance and for things happening mostly as you wanted them to for the birth. Welcome little one.

Mrs.X said...

Congratulations, my dear!!!! I am so, so happy for you and Bruiser and the mister. I am smiling inside and out.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Oh hooray! Bruiser is one day older than my little ones.

So happy for you. Congratulations!!!!!

G$ said...

YAY! So happy Bruiser is here and safe!

xoxox

Rebeccah said...

Oh this is just the BEST news!!! I was about a month behind on reading your posts and just now caught up to this one and was so worried going in and so delighted at the end! Many blessings on you and your new family. Welcome to parenthood : )

Paula Keller said...

OMG! I'm sooooooo sorry that I'm just now reading this! Fantastic!!!

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!