Ah, so many posts have been drafted in my head. And so few have made it here.
Things are, well, well. Well enough. First year done. Academic job applications ignored, but I've been pouring myself into my other, non-academic writing job. Now if I can just get it to make me more money, I'm set. It's a good gig, but not quite enough work to be full time. I know I can turn it into a career and make a living at what I do; it's just frustrating at the moment, to work a lot and still have some weeks when we don't go to the grocery store and cruise on beans and rice and frozen broccoli, for fear of overdrafts.
My little one has a lot of strengths. Sleeping is not one of them. It rarely impacts his sunny, engaged outlook on things, but it does turn me into a raving lunatic with zero tolerance for complexity. We're currently in yet another major developmental moment, which means even poorer sleep for both of us. How do I know? He talks in his sleep, laughs, screams, rolls, kicks, and basically asks like his brain is in total overdrive.
So, he's kicking my ass. Exhaustion is, too. As is my work.
I need a run and a beer.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yikes! I hope your little dude is sleeping like a champ soon. A run and a beer sound like just the ticket. But then what can you do for yourself? (kidding)
Good to hear from you! Glad that all is well, and that you are finding opportunities outside of academia.
Hope that things improve on the sleeping front soon. xx
Your last line sums up my feelings about motherhood so far:
I need a run and a beer, too!
Post a Comment