Yesterday, my dear man called me as he walked to work, remarking on what he felt was the stupidest bumpersticker he had ever seen. It exclaimed "Jesus Was Breastfed." Of course, it was not alone in adorning the bumper of a minivan. There were others about being a homebirthing mom or something. Just to put the sticker in context.
My guy suggested we print up and add some stickers of our own, something like, oh, "Pol Pot Was Breastfed," just to put the issue into proper perspective.
It made me think about the emotional difference between a strongly held, benign belief that someone may share with friends or acquaintances or use to guide their life, and a belief that someone feels they can proclaim to the world on the ass of their car. In the later case, the belief becomes ideology, becomes universally proclaimed and applied moral standard.
And all the women who can't breastfeed even if they'd like to--the deadbaby mamas, the adoptive moms, the women who just don't have their milk come in for some reason--may feel hurt.
Is a bumper sticker really worth that? Has that thought ever crossed hippy mom's mind?
Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Nope, she didn't think of those less boob-fortunate because she was too busy feeling smug and entitled. Just my guess.
When M was breastfeeding our Kiddo, I was stunned to discover that complete strangers feel comfortable inquiring about one's breastfeeding status. While she always got the, "way to go" responses, because she was indeed breastfeeding, I know it goes the other way.
Seriously, people, have you nothing better to do? There's a reason it's called OUR Bodies OURselves, just so you know...
sigh.
No, it's astonishing the level of commentary that people feel entitled to make. But truly, if you make those bumper stickers, I'd love one.. .
Pol Pot was breastfed.
That completely made my day, Shinejil.
I generally like to think that my thoughts on most issues are more complex than a bumper sticker is capable of conveying. But, apparently, for the hippie-momma, not so much. :-)
It really is so sad that so many women can get so intent on their beliefs of what is right that they can be hurtful to other women. Sure breast feeding is great. But like you said, what about the women who aren't able to for whatever reason. Why be hurtful to them.
WOW!!! I was JUST commenting tonight on a bumper sticker that said "Breast fed is best fed," and how that was preposterously stupid as a political movement, because, hello, it's a private health decision (what next? "Give baths on Wednesdays"? "I fed carrots first and bananas second and if you do otherwise you're a lousy mother"?). But your bumper sticker TOTALLY takes the cake.
I've always understood that bumper stickers were either to proclaim morally neutral personal pride ("Steelers," "I love my border collie," "This car climbed ____"), or to espouse a popular movement you want others to join ("Dukakis '88," "COEXIST," "Free Tibet," whatever). That could surely include a religion or religious practice/moral tenet, but I think we need to get the word out that breastfeeding is NOT a religion.
Also, I've read the New Testament, a couple of times. I missed this mention of breastfeeding...
Bite me.
That is about all I would have to say to that mom.
F'nucking AWESOME post. Seriously. I am so verbose, belaboring every point ad infinitum. You so short and to the point. I love it.
Good point! I never thought of it that way (not that I have ANY bumper stickers)and feel a bit enlightened.
The closest I ever got to a bumper sticker was a "Nobody's ugly after 2am" license plate cover I had in college. That and my darwin fish with an alien inside...
That is the most retarded fucking sticker I have ever heard of. How incredibly offensive. I get wanting to be in good company, but what if it just doesn't work for you? Are you then no longer able to be down with Jesus because you can't feed yours like Mary did?
Jesus was a product of artificial reproduction. He should be the IVF-industry's poster child.
Yeah, I was in the boob-challenged category with my son...he was early and had a poor latch, and I had a very poor milk supply. I practically made myself sick trying everything I could to breastfeed or at least pump bmilk. Honestly, my son tolerated the wal-mart brand formula better.
I tend to avoid looking at the bumpers of other's cars...it always tend to infuriate me!
Eve (infertilityrocks.wordpress.com)
Post a Comment