Asking an infertile not to laugh when asked about her preferred method of birth control is like asking 4-year old not to eat the cookie placed in front of them.
It's just not going to happen.
A large part of me hopes that you did let out a big ole holler at that one.
I'm considering doing it 70s style and requesting a tubal ligation during the (very likely) c-birth. The way I figure it, if we make it to the end of this pregnancy with two babies, then we probably don't want more, and if we do, we have embryos on ice that don't require tubes. And even if those embryos don't work, the process required to get us pregnant skips the tubes altogether. So having the tubes cut would just keep us from that accidental circumstance, the ultimate "screw you" from mother nature, which is the accidental pregnancy after years of infertility. Doesn't keep us from purposely getting pregnant if we go completely insane and have more after these two, but makes sure we have control.
But yes. I realize how incredibly ironic it is, but at the same time, I know far too many people who have ended up unexpectedly pregnant post-IVF-created-child has been carried to term.
August 2011-Now, for variety, a blighted ovum. Geesh.
May 2011-Chemical pregnancy. First pee stick positive ever.
Oct 2009-Induced at 37 weeks but give birth to healthy boy after easy labor.
May 2009-Find out we're having a boy.
April 2009-Become a completely boring pregnant lady with a due date of Oct. 22, 2009.
March 2009-Surprise! Twins with heartbeats.
Ah, whoops. Make that one.
January/February 2009-Next "scientific" cycle. Good ol' injects/IUI, with 8 or so follicles. BFP.
Beta 1=88 Beta 2=242
December 2008-cycle au natural?
October-November 2008-Twiddling my thumbs as my hCG drops...
July-September 2008-IUI + Follistim. 8 (!?!) follicles mature. Pregnant, but with AF-like bleeding and weird beta wildness suggesting an ectopic pregnancy. Treated medically (methotrexate).
April-July 2008-taking a break from medical treatment, just to see what happens/recover some sanity/write a lot on my dis /train for a triathlon.
March 2008- hysteroscopy and lap. Three polyps removed, a tiny amount of endo lasered, otherwise, "Everything looksgood in there." Evil spots banished, it seems.
10 comments:
I'd laugh too.
LOL. As if!
I completely ignored the birth control issue. When my OB brought it up I changed the topic and it wasn't mentioned again. HA.
But! What if pregnancy magically cured you? Then what?
I had someone ask me what we were going to do for birth control after I have this baby, I couldn't help but laugh.
I can't wait to have the same conversation with my future midwife....
Ridiculous question, isn't it? It's like they're required by law to ask or something.
Asking an infertile not to laugh when asked about her preferred method of birth control is like asking 4-year old not to eat the cookie placed in front of them.
It's just not going to happen.
A large part of me hopes that you did let out a big ole holler at that one.
Last week my OB was trying to convince me to get an IUD. Near-impossibility of conception aside, my uterus has been through quite enough, thank you.
Happy 6 weeks, to you, me, and the babies!
I'm considering doing it 70s style and requesting a tubal ligation during the (very likely) c-birth. The way I figure it, if we make it to the end of this pregnancy with two babies, then we probably don't want more, and if we do, we have embryos on ice that don't require tubes. And even if those embryos don't work, the process required to get us pregnant skips the tubes altogether. So having the tubes cut would just keep us from that accidental circumstance, the ultimate "screw you" from mother nature, which is the accidental pregnancy after years of infertility. Doesn't keep us from purposely getting pregnant if we go completely insane and have more after these two, but makes sure we have control.
But yes. I realize how incredibly ironic it is, but at the same time, I know far too many people who have ended up unexpectedly pregnant post-IVF-created-child has been carried to term.
Post a Comment