I had a really nice talk with my mom-in-law, a former hippy who's still really liberal and works in social services, yesterday as we were doing some Christmas shopping together. She's had dysplasia many times, and as a former nurse, had a really helpful, kind perspective on my situation.
She also passed along some happy news. One of her friends/colleagues had been trying to get pregnant forever and it had a huge impact on her marriage, but now she's due in May. I was really glad to hear about it. She got pregnant on her 2nd IVF. Good for her. I hope she won't mind talking to me about her experience at some point.
Isn't it funny how some gals' triumphs are so easy to share? How different from the "just relax" people who accidentally get knocked up and then tell you shit like, "It'll happen when it's time." What does that mean? How is that supposed to help me? What if we took that same approach to other bodily functions? Say, "you'll stop puking your guts out when it's time" or "you'll stop running a major fever when it's time" or "you'll recover movement in your legs when it's time." Tell me, why do people separate out reproduction into this unique category, as if some supernatural being like, oh, the flying spaghetti monster created babies and it had nothing to do with our bodies?
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ouch. I just laughed so hard at that last bit that I snorted and it hurt!
Post a Comment