Monday, December 17, 2007

The deed is done!

After a bit more spotting and a very depressing Friday meltdown, my guy and I decided it was time to take a big step and call up the local specialist. We've got an RE appointment Jan. 2, and I'm actually excited and relieved, eager to know what someone who deals with this problem all the time will see in the strange data I've gathered over the last year or so.

It's a big step for me and my guy. I've been resisting actively the "industrial" approach to fertility treatment (for lack of a better word--not to say that it doesn't work for many women). To go see someone and seriously consider more intense pharmaceutical and medical options is a major move for me. Perhaps I'm coming out of denial, aware that I might indeed need more help than I want to think. But damn it, it has been over two years, and while my periods are improving, facts is facts.

Stupidly, a gal from a wonderful singing group I belong to (a totally awesome woman, but clearly never set foot near IF lalaland) was wondering who would be pregnant for this year's annual spring concert. All the non-mothers in the group flinched and vowed that it would not be them. I cringed, too, but for a different, probably more annoying reason--though you never know what women have gone through--and kept my mouth shut. I thought, "Yeah, right. Like it would be me." I'm laughing typing this, but it was really fucking irritating at the time. I think I'm going to have to gently find a way to alert my singing buddies to my plight, just to prevent them from saying stupid shit without thinking.

3 comments:

nancy said...

Good for you. Although the first RE appointment feels like you are admitting defeat, it ends up being something you'll be glad you did. Maybe your "issue" is just something that can be fixed easily. Maybe it's not. But, you'll ~know~ now and that's a lot, don't you think?

Alyssa said...

Hi! I'm sorry you find yourself in the position of going to the RE and looking at the "industrial strength" options at getting pregnant. But, since you're here, welcome. May your stay be a short and productive one! :)

Shinejil said...

Thanks, guys, for the encouragement. I've already learned so much from the women writing in the IF blogosphere, so in many ways, this has already been very productive. Good luck and happiness to all of us!