Friday, April 3, 2009

Dreams, Old and Fresh

Last night, I dreamed I was in Moscow. It was a younger me, free of obligations or directions, unmarried and short-haired, but somehow still mysteriously pregnant. It was the very end of twilight, and the old winding streets of the heart of the city were deep in shadows, broad, leafy pools of darkness from the trees above. It was a dream Russia: everything was so well cared for and neat and calm. I walked without fear.

Suddenly, from around a corner, a young man stepped out of the shadows. He walked up to me and unexpectedly but very softly kissed me on the lips. Then he stood back from me and looked me deep in the eyes. I was not afraid. I was instantly in love.

I remember my dreams every night now, and they are usually jumbled messes of images stolen from the previous day's experiences. But this one somehow came from some other part of my psyche. It echoed with promise: that somehow, my other life that unfolded half a world away was still possible, relevant, a source of inspiration and creativity. My animus, my male muse had emerged, bearing a still unclear gift.

I don't know why, but it reminds me of another dream I had, several years ago, when still deep in the dark pit of IF despair. I think I've already discussed it here, but I'll repeat myself... I had somehow sneaked into Russia without meaning to, without a visa. Somehow, I was forced to confront a whole bad guys club (a la The Manchurian Candidate) who unleashed a dragon on an innocent man, woman, and their children. To save the family, I flung myself in front of them and somehow defeated the dragon. It became part of me, curled up in disturbing miniature on my cheek as a painful, permanent scar. Yet no one else could see it, and no one seemed to care that I had just done the impossible and survived.

That, friends, is the essence of the IF experience: We bear mysterious marks we can't erase, and once we've found our release, no one recognizes our secret yet astonishing heroism.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa. What a powerful post. I have a feeling I'll find myself rereading this one.

annacyclopedia said...

Oh, Shinejil. This just takes my breath away. That longing for recognition runs so deep in me that sometimes it stops me dead in my tracks. I hope I, and all of us, can learn that our heroism is not the least bit diminished by being largely invisible.

And I look forward to the day when the promise of your fresh dream is revealed to you, as I am certain it will be. Thank you for sharing these dreams here.

Heather said...

Wow! Amazing dreams you have!!!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

That is a perfect capture of IF's essence.

Does the new dream mean that you should cut your hair? :)

Io said...

Huh. I just dream about garlic.

Pamela T. said...

Brilliant! What a fascinating set of dreams and powerful analysis. thanks for highlighting the heroism...I couldn't agree more!

alicia said...

wow both are powerful dreams! i really like your interpretation of the second one gave me goosebumps!

Malloryn said...

Wow, that is quite a dream. I usually don't remember mine :/

Anonymous said...

Damn, you are good.

Your analysis is bang on.

the misfit said...

That's funny about the scar...I have some sort of a recurring mental image about a sparkly tattoo in the same place on my face - some sort of a mark of a secret league, a story or a daydream half-remembered from childhood. Maybe that's what it is I've been thinking of - the dragon of infertility!

Geeks in Rome said...

beautiful!!!! you packed that inexplicable something with a punch!

Lea said...

This was beautiful. I'm not sure how you find the words, but it makes so much sense.