Note: Stupid pregnancy wanderings ahead.
Unless it turns out that I have mysteriously acquired HIV or Hep B, I think this had to be one of the dullest appointments ever. Not that I miss the drama; it's just strange to have it suddenly exit, stage right, end Act I.
First, I asked if there was any way we could confirm that Bruiser was still among us. The nurse-midwife did a Doppler scan of my belly and voila. The swish swish that falls somewhere between crickets on Red Bull and a very aggressive washing machine. Way to live, Bruiser!
Then, the medical history. It was dull. Random relatives with random ailments, most of which were related to lifestyle. Or, in more distant relatives, insanity.
The most gut-clenching part was thinking about testing. Do I do the quad screen or the level II ultrasound? Would we abort a special needs child, if in the off chance we had one? Terror gripped me, and irritation. I'm at that ridiculous point, right on the cusp of 35, but not officially in the Advanced Maternal Age category. That means, no insurance coverage for any of this. The thought of paying out of pocket for something that would merely tell me I might need more testing frustrates me. The good ol' no guarantees, lots of cash bs we IFers know so well.
I think we might just opt out of the whole affair and take whoever we get, be s/he regular or unleaded. We have a wonderful program locally that helps disabled folks create amazing art and find useful, compassionate employment. When I thought of that, of the people I had met there, I realized that it didn't really matter. I only hope my child will have capacity for joy and creativity. The rest will be as it will be.
And now, the next appointment is in a month. When they'll do a pap and feel my uterus and likely give me another chance to hear the Doppler. It's all so easy and low key and stress-free.
I'm just baffled.
The only sour note: I've gained 15 pounds since, oh, some time last year. I know I had packed on a few pounds during Ectoporama '08--what a festive time!--but damn. I mean, my clothes all fit until about two weeks ago. Except my brief dalliance with bacon, I haven't been eating all that many sweets.
The nurse encouraged me to avoid gaining more than about five pounds between now and Week 20. But I'm always, always hungry. She suggested protein, but the cheapest veggie source--beans and lentils--have been inflating me like the Macy's Parade Snoopy balloon. Sigh.
Speaking of which, it's lunch time...
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I'm totally with you on the screening. Not only would I not abort a child with Downs or similar condition, but I know so many women who spent a large part of their pregnancy in terror because of slightly elevated results in some of the maternal screening tests, only to have perfectly healthy babies. My sister, who went through a complete nightmare in this regard, says just to be either all in, or all out on these tests, and I have to agree. Especially when you're paying for them out of pocket. I plan to opt out of them all, too and just take what I get. I doubt life with a disabled child would be any easier if I had a few months notice anyway.
Ah, yes, the inflation of which you speak has become de rigeur in our household as well. The upside is that I can now defeat Manny in one of his favorite activities - loud and stinky flatulence.
So glad that Bruiser is busily thumping away in there! Take the boring-ness with joy....it means things are going well and you just get to sit back and eat, what was you said, beans, beans, and more beans!
I'm not a vegetarian, but I couldn't eat meat while pregnant...because it made me soooo sick. I became very good friends with peanut butter sandwhiches, cashews, and cheese.
Boring is definitely good. And I think that not testing might be as good as anything. No matter what, you'll be a great mother and love the kid.
(I always get the best mental picture of you and your kid btw. You're wearing crazy colorful clothes and making rainbows with your hands while your kid helps. No, I am not on drugs. Why do you ask?)
Boring is good. Really, really good.
No coverage at all on the testing? I have decided when (WHEN!) I get pg again, we will do whatever testing that doesn't put the baby at risk. Not that we would do anything either. But perhaps the knowledge is power thing has some validity. I doubt it. Knowledge = worry :)
Beans, beans the musical fruit!
Isn't it wonderful when the appointments are uneventful? So glad that things have gone so well and little Bruiser is growing so well!
yay bruiser!!!! i'm so glad that all is well with the both of you.
i can't wait for boring. honestly universe bring it on!
Hurray for dull appointments :) I'm so happy to hear that Bruiser is doing well.
Excellent use of the word dalliance. I actually just learned that one about 6 - 12 months ago and have been looking (unsuccessfully) for a reason to use it. ;)
I think boring in pregnancy is the best way to have things!
Post a Comment