Friday, January 8, 2010

How I Learned to Stop Worrying (yeah, right) and Love Co-Sleeping

As an IFer, I'm terrified of baby dying. Not that someone more fertile would be cool with infant demise, but if you know this might be the only biochild you'll ever, ever have, SIDS and stuff scares you shitless. Again, not that a fertile myrtle can just replace someone they lost, but...well, you know what I mean. It's a little different for us.

So I was horrified in some respects when we first tried to put Bruiser down to sleep. And he wouldn't do it. The urge to hold his darling, tiny, hungry little self was stronger than the American sense that I was ruining his chances of developing proper sleep independence or whatever. Regardless, Bruiser refused to sleep, even in a side-car co-sleeper contraption, even if already soundly and deeply slumbering. The instant you put him down, he perks up and starts fussing determinedly.

I mentioned it to our pediatrician at our two month appointment that we were co-sleeping. Or to be more precise bed sharing, when the kid's in your arms in your bed, not just in the same room. She exclaimed that we shouldn't be doing this, that the last two cases of SIDS or infant death or what have you were co-sleeping situations. She said to try a pacifier or even to let him cry until he got used to a different, safer sleeping arrangement.

So we went home, with our sad little guy who just got his first shots, and tried to get him to sleep in his own little side-car space.

Ha.

Bruiser's motto: Accept no substitutes. That breast pad and dryer-warmed blanket? That pacifier? An insult to his baby dignity. He knew what he wanted, and that was to lie next to a boob in my arms.

The wise blogger Moxie has come up with an important distinction when it comes to babies. There are those who cry and blow off steam, eventually (i.e. in 10-20 minutes) settling down, and there are those who cry and cry and cry as their tension and horror and despair escalate. They may fall asleep at some point, but it's out of hopelessness and sheer exhaustion, not "self-soothing." Bruiser will work himself up to such an extent that he throws up, turns beet red, and frankly wastes all those calories I spend all day pouring into him that he should be using to grow.

So I had to learn about another important and neglected distinction: there's safe and unsafe co-sleeping. Interestingly, some of the countries (China, Japan) with the highest co-sleeping rates have some of the lowest SIDS rates in the world. Why? Because their beds are radically different from your typical American set up: hard mattresses close to the floor with light blankets and few pillows. Sounds a lot like the CIA prison-style bedding recommendations for infant beds, right? Then, there's another point: moms in these low SIDS-rate countries often sleep alone with their infants, not with other adults or children.

So we laid down our old futon at the foot of our bed, and that's where Bruiser and I sleep. We're near my husband, and he can come and cuddle with us (or with just me), but no one has to worry about Bruiser getting hurt somehow. My guy barely slept when we tried sleeping with me holding Bruiser in the side car (and talk about uncomfortable), so this new arrangement works pretty well for us.

Though I still have some mornings when I wake up feeling like a truck hit me due to stiffness, I'm actually able to get some good sleep. And this morning, I had my first truly pleasant experience: I woke up to nurse the little guy, and just felt so wonderful cuddling his warm, sweet cheese-scented little form as he sleepily had his first of four breakfasts.

Then why did my otherwise pretty cool pediatrician declare so categorically that this was a terrible idea? Because, kind of like alcohol during pregnancy, the way to do it right is pretty complicated. No smoking, or even second-hand smoke (a strong correlation to SIDS in co-sleeping situations). No naps on the couch with baby. No alcohol or sleep aids before bed. No headboards, guardrails, or gaps between the bed and wall. No big pillows or fluffy duvets near baby. That's already a looong list to tell a sleep-deprived parent. So the docs just say don't do it at all.

I'm writing about all this, because I think as an IF survivor, I've got a head full of fear. I think it comes with the IF territory for most of us. We end up listening to people in authority (and often that's a good thing) but there are times when our needs and those of our loved ones contradict the party line.

I want to pass along the message that just because this has been a hard-fought and -won victory, you don't have to be perfect, or even great. Just be adequate and choose your own adventure. Now that you're on the "other side" of IF, so to speak, you have nothing to compensate or make up for. Just let your love and instincts guide you, and keep using the wits that finally got you here.

14 comments:

Rachel said...

I love this post. I was adamant about not wanting to co-sleep, but from the very first night in the hospital my daughter would not sleep alone. At 13 months she's still cuddling up next to me, and I really love waking up to her touching my face (or kicking my stomach, sometimes. Or pawing at my shirt ...). My husband is from China and he never had a crib at all, nor did any of his cousins so he found our co-sleeping quite normal but my poor family freaked out about it. So glad you've found a safe set-up that works for you.

VA Blondie said...

I love reading your posts on being a new parent after IF. I will be there soon. (As soon as our little decides to make his appearance.)

Another reminder that parenting is different for everyone. Thank you!

Geeks in Rome said...

Another IF fallout is when a doctor says "do this!" you do it. So good on you for following instinct.

There was never a question that I wouldn't sleep with my baby. It was especially important for me because I was back at work so quickly and saw that time as valuable time together.

It's a great way to get him to eat too. Night feedings can be constant when you co-sleep and I think that is an excellent thing with low weight babies.

There is a price to pay personally with stiffness and sore arms or whatever if your positioning isn't good when feeding at night.

I really screwed up my shoulder with Gus because I didn't adjust the two of us to attach well without my holding him in place. Hot water bottles on my back and turtlenecks and a small flannel baby blanket around my exposed upper body worked wonders because I didn't have any duvets or anything on the bed.

I have yet to kick them out of our bed.... It's so cuddly warm...

Anonymous said...

I sm nervous to fall asleep with my bsby. I worry about squishing her or smothering her with my massive boobs. I am sure neither would happen, but I can't get over the fear.

If only I didn't get rid of my futon last month!

Dora said...

I've been co-sleeping since I got home from the hospital. It was clear in the hospital that she wouldn't sleep alone. She let me know loudly that the bassinet was an evil place. We use the Snuggle Nest, but I still wind up sleeping holding her quite a bit. Like Bruiser, even if she's sleeping soundly, if I put her down she wakes up almost instantly. I'm only able to type this because she's in a sling against my chest. I think you're right, it's just too involved for drs to explain the safe way to co-sleep.

Paula Keller said...

I'm drinking my water. :)

Great post! Glad you found a good solution. That totally makes sense, the "no pillows, no gaps between the bed, low bed, etc...)

We're kind of hoping the babies are ok with sleeping together. We'll see. :)

Denise said...

Our kids are over a year old and I still have horrible thoughts about going into their room in the morning and finding one of them unresponsive. I always try to push those thoughts away, but I often think that a fertile wouldn't ever have those thoughts at least not after a year.

I'm glad you found something that works for you all. I think there are almost always exceptions to the rule when it comes to raising kids. It seems there is never one thing that works for every kid, so you have to find what works for you.

Rebeccah said...

Way to trust your instincts! As a former IFer who became a mom through last-minute adoption, I didn't breastfeed, but we definitely got what I like to call a Velcro Baby who Would.Not.Be.Put.Down.EVER. for the first 4 months of his life and still clings to us for dear life when it's bedtime. He slept on top of me or the Mister for the first weeks of his life and then we got a Snuggle Nest thingy. Eventually, he moved to a crib (trials and travails of our sleep experiences detailed at great length on my blog) ... but when he's sick or teething, one of us always ends up sleeping on his floor with him for several hours or all night, depending. We lay a thick quilt on the floor, one pillow for the adult and a light throw to cover us both. He snuggles right up and eventually we get some sleep (particularly the adult who gets to stay in the big bed, sigh). I think every family is different, and as long as you use good common sense, you'll all survive.

battynurse said...

This is a great post. One thing I thought of when you were talking about how the idea of SIDS is so hard for IF'ers is that we think about it! Most people don't sit there looking at their baby thinking what if s/he dies of SIDS. But after having dealt with IF and all the levels of loss that come with it and how many of us often come to expect loss it's like the next place our mind goes once we finally have that baby.
Good for you for listening to yourself. I think that whatever works for you is fine at least as long as your are careful to control the environment.

luna said...

I think I've done all those things. and our little one is a healthy 7 month old who likes to roll to her side to sleep. I've often woken up and she's been on her belly. that would happen next to me or in a crib, but I'm more likely to turn her over easily if she's next to me.

you just have to do what's right for you. shame the doctors don't trust in the intelligence of individuals to work things out properly.

I have to ask though, why no guardrails? we're using one now...

'Murgdan' said...

Very good points here...I'm getting a by the bed co-sleeper, plus my sister is loaning me an in the bed co-sleeper.....but with my husband working nights I'll usually be alone--which makes your points very valid. I'll probably try all the methods until I find one that works.

:-) Thanks for sharing this.

Me said...

Isn't it cold sleeping on the floor without blankets?

Malloryn said...

This is great! I'm glad you were able to figure out an arrangement that works for all three of you. Sometimes we just need to trust our instincts.

Barb said...

sounds like my E and your Bruiser have a LOT in common. that's why freaky reluctant do it by the book me co-sleeps now. i JUST wrote a post similar. (tho not as good)