Friday, November 14, 2008

Smorgasbord

  • Thanks for all the thoughts on that silly article. It seems that many of us have made a similar journey from sentiment to cold, harsh reality, even Eurydice, who did end up going the home birth route. As you put it, Eurydice, the really annoying thing about that article was its stupidity (i.e. the focus on fine home furnishings). That shallowness irritates, as the experience--whether innocent or haunted by loss--will never be shallow for us.

  • I have been having the oddest dreams lately. In one, I was suddenly issued a roster of students for a class I only vaguely remembered agreeing to teach, on the history of funk, oddly enough (not my specialty; I'm as WASP as you get). The kids started filing in with all these weird craft projects to represent, say, Detroit's funk scene and its evolution, and I had no.idea.at.all. what I was supposed to do.

    Then, last night, I dreamed I was five or six months pregnant. This was not the focus of the dream, however, because I was kidnapped along with a bunch of Mongolian children by some sort of terrorists. They were somewhat lame terrorists, and I was oddly calm and collected, caring for the children, forgoing food to feed them (yeah, as if I would ever be so saintly when gestating), disputing the terrorists' assertions, etc. The oddest thing was how in my dream, it felt so natural to be pregnant and caring for children. Not my default state at all.

  • Wish me luck and my last blood test today.

  • ETA: AAAAAAHHH! hCG=13.5. Nurse Sweetie suspects I'm injecting microdoses on the sly (we laugh a lot together). So now I ask that you wish that I be completely unpregnant come Dec. 1 (my next b/t, may it be the last!).

8 comments:

loribeth said...

That's teenagers for you...!! ; ) Well, I suppose half a point is better than no progress at all, but it's sure taking its sweet time, isn't it?

alicia said...

ahhh! I am sending all my prayers and positive thoughts that the next blood test is the LAST one!! this is insane!

Io said...

Good grief batman! Is there anything they can do?
And man, the pregnant dreams that seem so natural? Suck to wake up from. Even if they involved being kidnapped by terrorists.

Mrs.X said...

W.T.F. Seriously, can anything helpful ever happen to you?! I'm shaking my fist at the sky for you. At least you and Nurse Sweetie got a good chuckle.

Lea said...

OMG! I can't believe how long it's taking. I'm sure you say that every day. Probably the only time I'll ever say this, but I hope you get a BFN on your next test. Ugh.

kate said...

Man, F*ck that asshole hCG- Doesn't it know it just needs to go??? A .5 drop is like it's just making fun of you or something, you know? Asshole hormones and shit...

Err, let's see if I can finish the rest of the comment without any cursing, eh?

Can I please, please, PLEASE register for your history of funk class? It just might make my life to get to take that class!

I, too, have been having a series of weird dreams lately about living in other people's houses- like randomly waking up and being like, "This is not my house, this is not my bed, this is not my pillow or couch or kitchen"- how very David Byrne of me... I don't know. It probably has something to do with not feeling like I know what my place in this world should be. Hmm.

battynurse said...

OMG!! The never dropping HCG. I hope this next blood draw shows an HCG of 0. Good luck.

Rebeccah said...

Hi, just catching up after a long busy month. I see that you've been busy too, what with the terrorists and injecting microdoses on the sly! (Hoping for a nice fat zero for you soon.)