Friday, November 28, 2008

Much better, thanks

Nothing like a week of Belgian beers, fresh mussels, absolutely amazing old friends, and other delights to make you forget about it all. I'm truly grateful for my friends: It was just like old times, but somehow better because, well, I'm not as insane as I was when I was in my early 20s. My paper was over first thing, and I basically spent the week wandering around Philly and NYC with my guy, wining, dining, exploring--we even took a bizarre trip to coastal Jersey, to peruse the deserted boardwalks and gaze at the ocean. We drank hot chocolate under the Manhattan Bridge. We ate really good dim sum and croissants (not at the same time).

Then we came home, and were wonderfully grateful for our much improved and improving house, our goofy cats, the peace, quiet and darkness that prevails in our small college town. Thanksgiving was low-key and low-stress at my MIL's house, veggie fare followed by a walk down the country roads around her place.

The ankle basically got over itself after Wednesday, which was spent driving and by Thursday, I had no discernible limp.

So life is good.

12 comments:

annacyclopedia said...

Oh, that sounds like an absolutely splendid week. Glad it was restorative and pleasant for you.

And I'm so suggestible - now I'm craving mussels!

luna said...

sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I love me some good belgian beer, esp. the white stuff.

btw, one of those stacks in our leftovers was all veggie stuff.

alicia said...

YAY!!! I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how everything was going, so I am glad you posted!

I am so glad you had a great time with friends and your man :) I sounds like it was the break you needed!!!!

Dora said...

Jacques Torres hot chocolate? Mmmmmmm! Where'd you go for mussels?

Glad you had a good trip and your ankle is better.

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Yay! Glad you had a good time. And yum ... dim sum!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!!

(and if you send me your address, I will send you cookies.)

Denise said...

So glad you had a great week! There is a lot to be said for low-key low-stress holidays.

Paula Keller said...

I'm so glad things went well! You totally deserved some goodness!

Dim sum, hot chocolate, big cities, sounds FANTASTIC!

Io said...

Yay! I'm glad you had such a nice time out there - and equally happy that you are back to putter about your own turf.

JellyBelly said...

mmmmm, mussels.

i'm so glad that you had a good time. you definitely earned a good vacation!

Me said...

My husband keeps promising to take me to dim sum. In our city it's only served at one restaurant on Sunday morning/afternoons. So in 8 years we haven't managed to make it yet. But it is on my list of things to try! :)

Malloryn said...

Oh, that sounds great, and I'm glad your ankle is better! I'm curious... I also share a great love of Belgian beer. Did you happen to stop at Monk's Cafe when you were in Philly? If you're ever in town again, it's worth going there. They call themselves a Belgian beer emporium, for goodness sakes!

http://www.monkscafe.com/