I hate my birthday usually. It comes the day after Christmas and always feels like an afterthought, or like the afterparty that drags on way too long after all the umph has gone out of the evening.
But every once in a rare while, the day surprises me. I expected to feel somewhat depressed--if only deep down in the depths of my soul--that I was turning 34, with all that means and in the context of all that's happened. One year closer to the fertility Styx of 35. One more year of failure and loss.
Fortunately, that's not what happened. It was unseasonably mild, so my husband and I went for a long walk down country roads near my folks' farm, up an old eroded lane that passes huge mossy boulders and (with the wet year they've had) rushing streams, up to a beautiful, cedar-lined road running along a high ridge. You can see for at least ten miles up there.
When we got home, we had Mexican-esque food. You know, the tortillas and beans and guac of the Midwest. Then I unwrapped my presents, to discover my folks had gotten us a night at this 150-year-old log cabin up the road, way back in the woods.
So my guy and I had a lovely night together, after the family came over to poke around the lovely little place, eat ice cream, drink champagne, and light hurricane lamps. There was a jacuzzi, and reading by candlelight, and a warm morning filled with the squawking of wild turkeys.
Here's to a better year ahead.
Monday, December 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
*swoon* what a beautiful gift!
and yes, I think 2009 is going to be your year: look at the happy convergence of hubby's Scrooge employer giving him the holidays off and then being gifted a night together in the wilds (which I assume would have been wasted if he had had to work???)
Here's to egg, sperm, and uterine wall converging likewise in the new year!
Sounds like a great gift. Happy belated birthday.
Happy Belated, Shinejil!
Here is to this being your year.
Happy belated birthday! What a great day. Hope that bodes well for 2009!
Having just crossed the River Styx myself, I join you in a toast to a better year ahead. And may this year be the first of many blissful birthdays to come.
Happy birthday! Here's to a MUCH better year.
Happy Happy Birthday. :-)
what a perfect birthday!
and i agree, 2009 will be a much better year!
happy belated shinejil!
sounds perfectly lovely. happy belated day!
cheers to a much better year ahead!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, G/F!!! You may think no one knows your pain, having a birthday on the 26th, but guess what? I DO TOO. Blech. What a crappy B-day! Everyone feels uncelebratory that day, even me.
This year's B-day was nice for me, too, though. I even decided to stop freaking about my age (just turned 37, and last time I checked, still childless) and start being proud of who I've become in those years.
So I guess we both scored.
Happy belated birthday! I have a good friend with the same day. I always try to make a bigger deal about it since it's the day after Christmas. So glad you had a nice time...we need that every once in a while!
Happy Belated Birthday!!
What a wonderful gift :)
Sounds like heaven. Wishing you a MUCH better 2009!
Sounds like a perfectly lovely day! Happy belated birthday!
Hey girlfriend, a belated happy birthday! Wishing you all the best and them some...cheers, PJ
Happy birthday! I won't sing you the birthday song. It will just embarass you and me. But, I will say that I think it is so wonderful that you enjoyed yourself on your birthday. Here's to many more!
Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a lovely day.
May 2009 be your year, shinejil.
Awesome birthday and gift! Happy belated!
Post a Comment