Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmasjacked

Ah, 2008! Such a sack-o'-shit year! You just can't ease on out without one final burst of bad luck.

Our plan for the holiday was a modest, quiet one: Go visit my folks on the farm and spend a couple days relaxing in the country. Shoot some shotguns. Go on long walks. Eat yummy food. Have some fine bubbly. Celebrate my birthday.

But then, my sister-in-law--whom I like, don't get me wrong--decided she wanted to come visit for the holidays, and that also included a trip to the farm. Which meant my mom-in-law--whom I like, don't get me wrong--was also coming along. So our quiet Christmas turned into a family get-together.

After I got over that fact and readjusted my expectations, I was fine with that. I had my dear guy explain to them that they were now family, not guests, and that everyone would be free and obligated to do whatever they wanted. Everyone seems to be on the same page, and all seemed settled.

But now, my guy's stupid employer decides he's got to work, all alone, on the day after Christmas and then on the Saturday after that. That as a retailer the business must be open, though historically those days have been the slowest sale-wise of the entire year.

Now, if we were talking about a place that sold toys or clothes or whathaveyou, the boss might have a point. However, that's not the case: my guy works for a specialty instrument dealer catering to people at music school here (which will be closed) and to folks online. So he'd be driving five hours on Christmas night or at the crack of ass on my birthday to go sit around and play online chess, whilst drumming his fingers by the silent phones and gazing out over the empty showroom. While his sister and mom sit around on the farm 300 miles away and I pine for his company.

Stupid, stupid fucking 2008.

11 comments:

Lea said...

Oh, that just sucks! I'm sorry. I hope his boss will have a momentary burst of kindness and let him have the time off.

kate said...

Oh, MAN, that sucks. WTF is wrong with your guy's boss? Seriously. What a way to have to spend xmas.

I am so sorry. I would be really fucking pissed if that happened.

Yeah, I would have to agree with you that 2008 can suck it- what a totally craptastic year you've had.

'Murgdan' said...

I HATE 2008! Go to hell! oh please let 2009 be better....

JellyBelly said...

that is the dumbest, stupidest, shittiest thing ever.

would you like help making a voodoo doll of your husband's boss? i can break out the sewing kit now.

loser.

TABI said...

Oh, I am so sorry your plans had to change! That's so annoying and you can't even have your dh with you ): I hope that all the bad sucky things of 2008 are getting all out now to leave room for a luckier and blessed 2009. Hang in there! The year is almost over!!!

luna said...

oh that really effing sucks. like the shitpile on top of the crap of the year this has been. sorry, shinejil.

I hope you have a better christmas and birthday than you're anticipating.

Geeks in Rome said...

jezus!! hasn't anyone told his boss the economy is up shit's creek and NO ONE is buying anything this year. they'll make more money keeping the lights and heat OFF with the store closed.

goobers.

Three cheers for a kinder, gentler 2009

Susan Jett said...

I'm sorry. Working over the holidays sucks anyway, but working while so far from you all is just the worst.

And yeah, I'm with you. Out with 2008, let's see if 2009 can be a better year for all of us, eh? It could hardly be worse...

nancy said...

That totally fucking SUCKS. Maybe sneak home wtih him and spend that weekend just holed up with him?

Ms Heathen said...

I'm so sorry that your plans have been spoilt, but hope that you will at least get to spend some time with your man over Christmas.

And, although I'm not sure exactly when it is, happy birthday!

alicia said...

ahhh! that sucks! I can't believe they would make him work!!! grr I am so mad for you! I hope somehow this christmas can still be a little good for you.