Monday, December 1, 2008

Solitude, or the Gilligan's Island hike

Sing it with me now, "A three-hour hike...a three-hour hike."

My guy had to work on Saturday, and I felt restless and a bit depressed about the whole barrenness thing. I had to get out of the house, and since our decadent week, I've been trying to break what my dad so aptly calls "the reward cycle" of sweets, booze, et cetera. This cycle, along with my previous IF cycle, has turned my thighs into large, pale Vienna sausages, which means it's time to break it.

So, instead of opening up some Shiraz or heading to the nearby (fabulous) pastry shop, I went on a long-dreamed of walk down the abandoned back roads that run through a cluster of state and national forests. I had a map, some water, some local apples and cheese and a crust of home-made bread.

It was beautiful: that turquoise and azure sky so bright it burns your eyes, the smell drifting off the reedy, mucky north end of our large local reservoir. The roads were mere muddy ruts running through the fields, marshes, and woods. Flickers and bluejays tussled in the bare branches. I got away from one of the main roads (read a tiny paved lane) and was surrounded by absolute silence, except when the wind blew.

I wandered in total peace, tramping through the muck, up hills, over creeks, down gravel roads. Then I got totally and utterly lost.

This is a rare occurance for me. One thing I know I have is a very good sense of direction, especially if I have a map on hand. But the map didn't show all sorts of roads and paths that branched off from my lane that ran around the lakeshore and into the hills. I got all discombobulated in the woods. And not once, but twice, I wound up back at the big hill, the one I've written about before, with all the eerie legends about it. It was like the Bermuda fucking Triangle, in the middle of rural Indiana, I swear.

So, as the sun set, I was finally able to backtrack and return to my car. I had spent seven hours walking. I'm still stiff from the experience.

And the funny thing? I would do it again today, if I didn't need to work and shit.

12 comments:

loribeth said...

I was reading your first line & thinking "Three hours?? Yikes!" But seven?! I bow to you and your physical fitness/stamina, O Great Shinejil. : ) Glad you had a nice day!

Dora said...

Wow, I'm impressed. And OUCH!

alicia said...

yay! I am so glad you were able to do the walk you wanted too! super scary about getting lost, but I am glad you made it out safely! and wow 7 hours, you are amazing girl!

annacyclopedia said...

Despite the stiffness, it sounds blissful. I'm so jealous! And relieved you're not currently starring in your own "Blair Witch Project".

JellyBelly said...

stupid work.

SEVEN HOURS! that's nuts! after our last hiking adventure mr. JB made me promise to never, ever make him hike again. if you ever fancy a visit up north we can hit the trails (with a GPS, of course!).

Denise said...

Oy! Seven hours? Sounds like it was a bit lethargic for you. And so glad you made it back to your car!

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Now ... sit right back and you'll hear a tale. Oh crap. Now I've got that song in my head.

Anyhoo ... just happy that you were able to find some solitude in your walk. And I'm so happy you made it back safely, too!

luna said...

sounds like a pretty awesome day. except for the getting lost part, but still.

so you mean I should break away from the pinots and lemon bars if I want to lose my belly then? hmm.

Malloryn said...

Holy moly, seven hours!! I am seriously impressed. Exhausting and yet I'm sure it felt good to really get away from it all.

That's a shame about Monk's being closed. I hope you'll have another opportunity to go there :)

Geeks in Rome said...

very fun! except the Bermuda Triangle bit. Hope the Indiana woods are free of creepy people at least!!

Io said...

Good grief that's a walk - I think you have earned some reward cycle...
It does sounds great, if a little too long.

Geeks in Rome said...

p.s. you must write a post about Xmas in Siberia with Buddhists. What a great title!

So glad you're alive!!