Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Oh, I'm still here

...just ridiculously busy. The perils of having three jobs.

I go to see the nurse midwife on Thursday. Of course, this appointment has triggered mild bursts of anxiety that Bruiser has somehow managed to kick the bucket on the sly. Or that I'll have to beg for an ultrasound to keep myself sane. I always get increasingly paranoid before doctor's appointments.

I seem to have misplaced my waist. It happened all of a sudden. If you see it, let me know.

My husband is staying remarkably sane, thanks to the Lex, as we lovingly call it. Not one single bout of dread and cancer terror since he started taking the stuff. Amazing.

We're in the home stretch of completing the Endless Renovation of '08 (and now '09): laying a bamboo floor in our family room. Our second bathroom is much improved--tile floor, new vanity, new paint--and someday soon I look forward to not living in a construction zone.

We've drafted a budget. It's an absolute necessity, now that our income will basically decline by 40% when I stay home. Hubby's got a second job working for the census, and is applying for others. I may teach a half-semester class before giving birth. We'll be living very modestly, but we'll make it.

That's all. Nothing much to report here. I know, it's like watching grass grow.

10 comments:

kate said...

It's amazing what a little Lex can do to a person's outlook on life. I'm glad it's working for the hub.

Budgeting sucks, but I so need to get on that ball, too. H is generally cheap so he thinks that this means that he doesn't need to budget, but the fact is that even if you always buy the rock bottom dirt cheapest option, it doesn't mean that you have a good handle on how you're spending your money. And now that I have no job, it's super important that we keep a budget.

Congrats on being in the home stretch. We are no closer to being done than we were about six months after moving in. Home reno is so rewarding, but finishing all the nitpicky shit can be such a hassle...

Congrats on the loss of waist. I hear it's for a good reason. Grow, Bruiser, grow!

Lea said...

It is a little like watching grass grow. Feels much the same over here! Appointments freak me out too. Hopefully that will pass eventually!

Glad you are still here. :)

Anonymous said...

I heart my Lex, too!

Glad you are hanging in there.

annacyclopedia said...

Good to hear from you. Perhaps I will follow suit and publish my own update of the last weeks.

Glad your hubby is doing so well, I was just last night noticing that my waist is about to disappear on me, yay! for the home stretch on the renos, please share useful frugality advice with me as I desperately need it, and I have to say that was quite a thorough report. Not like watching grass grow at all.

Paula Keller said...

Misplaced waist! LOL! I'll keep an eye out.

I hope this is a wonderful visit and that bruiser is having a blast in there.

Io said...

I'm glad the Lex is working for your bear!
I hope that grass keeps growing at a nice steady happy pace.

Mrs.X said...

At this point, honey, the less drama the better. You guys are going to be just fine. All of the pieces will fall into place, everything that needs to be done will be done and it will all work.

I just have that feeling. :)

JellyBelly said...

glad to hear that all is well!

the misfit said...

all wonderful to hear. and, "kick the bucket on the sly" - hilarious, as usual. and he didn't, I mean, you would have NOTICED. so he's fine.

alicia said...

i am glad your hubby hasn't had any more panic attacks, that is great news! and yay bamboo floor! I can't wait to be out of our construction zone too!