I just committed one of the cardinal sins of the IFosphere, albeit in real life: I accidentally outed one of my (seemingly fertile) friends who's about 10-11 weeks pregnant.
And I did it on Facebook. As part of a message thread involving 20 other people.
Ooops.
Fortunately, she, like many fertiles, was relatively nonchalant about this kind of thing and blissfully accepted both my beanspilling and my humblest apology.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oops is right. It is so easy to do stuff like that on FB, though - we need a whole new etiquette for FB and how to handle info in that realm.
don't be too hard on yourself! FB sucks in general for all things fertile. but you're right, fertiles wouldn't care like us infertiles!
I haven't been outed on FB yet. . .knock on wood it doesn't happen. There are still people in my family who don't know I am pregnant.
Ooops.
I still think fb is destroying our culture, but since I've done that in real real life - i.e., live and in person - I don't have a leg to stand on here. (I didn't know about people not telling for weeks because of the miscarriage risk, at the time - those were innocent days.)
Whoops!
I once (literally) outed a friend of mine to a group of older students at a summer camp where we were teaching. I thought that it was obvious that she was a lesbian, that she didn't hide it, that her partner was also a teacher at this camp, that these 17 and 18 year old students knew that she and R were partners, and I made some sort of offhanded comment that somehow indicated that she was a lesbian, and then WHOOPS. I guess no one (except the other teachers) knew that she was a lesbian.
That was the same year that I said "FUCK" loudly and undeniably clearly while performing a skit on stage in front of my entire music faculty, the assembled group of campers (ranging in age from 4 to 18) AND several of the parents of the younger ones.
So, you know. Whatever you've done in the whoops-I'm-a-big-mouth department, I've done it, and maybe even done it worse. So, you can always think, "At least I'm not Kate..."
Whoops. Glad she was ok about it. Thanks for being a cheerleader for me even though I've been a terrible blogger-freind.
I had to shut my Facebook down while dealing with IF for that very issue...figured I couldn't keep any 'lids' on securely.
So happy for an uneventful OB trip...those are what we wish for!!!!!
Eve (infertilityrocks.wordpress.com)
Post a Comment