Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Good news/bad news

Well, first the good: Bruiser has grown perfectly since our last u/s. While he's definitely no sumo wrestler, he's getting to be a good size.

Bad news: my fluid is very, very low normal (i.e. 6) and appears to be falling, my placenta is degrading somewhat, and my blood pressure is rising.

All this made the midwife want to do a NST (non-stress test). Bruiser, again, was perfect: reactive and had great heart rates.

So we're going to be seen weekly from here on out. If things start looking worse, that will increase to twice a week. If things really go south, it may be time to discuss induction. But hopefully by then I'll have passed the 37-week mark.

Frankly, I'm a whole hell of a lot less worried than I was. Because, again, it's just me and my wacko body, going crazy. But Bruiser's doing a damn fine job, despite this. Could it be? Could we really be about to get a live baby out of this mess?

14 comments:

annacyclopedia said...

Yay. Shit.

I'm sorry you're facing this. Bruiser sounds like a total champ, though, which is great. But this whole rollercoaster thing you have going on could seriously use a rest.

Hear that, Universe?

I'm glad you're less worried, and I hope you can stay in that place and that the news from here on out leans heavily toward the unequivocally good rather than the mixed.

Anonymous said...

In a word, yes. You're going to have a healthy and happy little boy.

As for the fluid and placenta and NSTs, I'm sorry that's happening AND I'm glad that you're taking it in stride. In the end, all will go fine. For now, I hope that the monitoring brings a continued sense of calm... especially since it's showing good progress for Bruiser.

Thinking about you and hoping that you meet or exceed the 37 week goal.

N said...

Go Bruiser Go.

And here's to you being able to keep him in as long as you have, and for as long as you still can.

Understandably stressful and upsetting, though. *hugs*

Lea said...

Keeping everything crossed that you'll get to cook him a little longer. I'm so glad he's doing well though. At least they'll be checking you often.

the misfit said...

Yeah, you're going to have a live baby, even if you induce tomorrow.

There's something almost charming about your body being up to its old tricks, knocked up, third trimester, and all.

VA Blondie said...

So glad Bruiser is doing well! Very frustrating that you have to deal with all the rest, though.

Hopefully things will work out. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that you make it to 37 weeks!

Anonymous said...

It is good that he is doing so well and if he needs to come now, he will be ok. So, yeah, you could really be about to get a real live baby.

I hope your body hangs in there a bit longer, but if it can't, you know it has done enough of the job.

Mrs.X said...

In the immortal words of Rosanne Rosannadanna: "It's always somethin'. If it's not one thing, it's another." On balance, I think the good still outweighs the bad - Bruiser is doing beautifully and that is wonderful. You will do your best to keep him in the oven for as long as possible, and you have excellent people keeping an eye on things.

You will be fine and yes, you will have a little squirming ball of infant. Hugs.

battynurse said...

Sorry about the increased drama but hopefully all things continue to be fine until he's good and baked.

Me said...

I'm pretty sure you are! ;)

Ms Heathen said...

So sorry that you are having to face this, but glad to hear that everything seems to be OK with Bruiser.

Here's hoping that you can hold him in for a little while longer...

Geeks in Rome said...

You've come a LOOOOOONG way, baby! and he will definitely be healthy and strong. 37-weeks in a fabulous benchmark -- you two should be proud.

If a 21-week baby can survive and thrive, Bruiser is going to kick ass. Glad you're getting lots of check-ups and rolling with the punches so well. fingers crossed!

Dunia said...

so what week are you on?

alicia said...

oh no! thinking of you and Bruiser!!!