Friday, September 25, 2009

The Tragic and the Banal

I've been clearing up a lot of banal details lately, disentangling myself from various engagements and employment, finding a pediatrician (we're going with a quirky gal with extensive training in infant care), cleaning up and organizing baby stuff and our erstwhile guest room (where my SIL will soon be moving--yeah, I know, we're crazy. Good thing she's awesome.)...

But something is weighing on my mind--besides my hopes that Bruiser manages at least another pound in the next four weeks.

[Warning: do not read if you're in a delicate place right now]

One of the gals from our childbirth class, a vibrant and very funny single mom (by choice? by default?), passed away recently, from a very serious and rare complication of HELLP. Her baby was born early but is doing well. But she rapidly went downhill due to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, again a rare complication of a rare complication.

My heart is just aching for her family and her little girl. I can't believe someone so alive, so lively could suddenly and inexplicably die.

10 comments:

annacyclopedia said...

I am so sorry for the loss of this new friend of yours. It is so scary when something like this happens - so unexpectedly and so tragically. I will keep her daughter and her family in my thoughts, along with you and the other members of your class. It really shakes a person up when death happens like this, and I'm wishing you peace and safety from fear and from danger.

N said...

How very tragic indeed. Much love and peace to her family.

alicia said...

oh wow, I am so sorry. That is so tragic, my prayers will be with that family.

the misfit said...

Wow. That's so incredibly hard - the baby will literally never remember her mama at all. Prayers for her family.

JellyBelly said...

Holy crap! Her poor baby girl. I can't even understand your shock.

You're pretty brave to have someone move into your house right before Bruiser shows up. I'm a little possessive about my personal space, I couldn't stand it!

battynurse said...

How sad and scary. I hope that she had family that will tell her little girl all about her momma's love.

Denise said...

Oh, how horrible. And completely unimaginable.

Anonymous said...

How horrible. I hope the baby will be well taken care of.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

How awful. I hope that little girl has someone to love and raise her.

loribeth said...

Oh my gosh, that is SO sad. :( We like to think that stuff like that doesn't happen anymore, but unfortunately, it does. :(