Thursday, September 3, 2009

Now with Planning!

Besides your comments and my husband's incredible tenderness, the only thing that really helps me is planning. And I've got a plan.

1. Rest. I've been overdoing it, I think. Not that I've been digging ditches or mining coal, but doing way too much intense and demanding intellectual work. I'm forcing myself to have 2-3 hours of nap and rest time every afternoon.

2. Nutrition. I've always eaten very well, but now I think I might need to eat more and as healthy as possible. I'm craving berries, tomatoes, and fish/meat, so I figure that's what I need to be consuming in large quantities.

3. Water. Perhaps a bit more hydration will help.

4. Taking it a bit easier in the pool and at the gym. I'd worked up to 1000 m per workout, and was pushing my heart rate up above 140 bpm. That might not be so great an idea at this point in the pregnancy.

Any other crazy suggestions? Funny things your grandma's bus driver's oral hygienist's niece's friend did?

7 comments:

annacyclopedia said...

Your instincts with the protein are probably dead on, if Bruiser is on the small side, of which I am by no means convinced. (Lots of folks seem to get told at this stage or later that their baby is super big/small, only to find at birth that they are just smack in the middle - the technology is just not that accurate.) But I've read that adding protein even at this stage of the game can really change the baby's growth pattern. And of course hydration is meant to be quite important for the amniotic fluid issue - again, it may not be an issue for you, but a little extra hydration can't hurt, right?

One thing I've noticed lately is a craving for more nutrient rich foods as opposed to just calories. If I go a few days of eating a relatively good balance of protein, carbs, fiber, etc, but don't include a good portion of dark coloured fruits and veggies, I start to feel a bit off - like hungry even when I'm not, and crabby. I've finally clued in that I really need to pay attention to my cravings for the healthy stuff, and give myself lots of it. So it sounds like your instincts are leading you in very good directions.

battynurse said...

Your plan seems like a pretty good one. I agree that the nutritious foods and craving for them indicates that you might need a bit extra. Also I know that the last couple of months is when a lot of the growth happens. And annacyclopedia is right that it could show small and Bruiser could be perfectly normal.

Mrs.X said...

I don't have any specific suggestions, but I do think that doing everything you can to just relax is so important. Stress is not helpful and it doesn't help you take care of yourself.

And, remember that measurements are not an exact science. I'm betting that everything is just fine.

Geeks in Rome said...

I think your plan sounds excellent.

Totally follow your cravings. I craaaved nuts and protein bars with Sweet Pea. Maybe it helped, I don't know. But I couldn't get enough and now she loves nuts and protein bars (which is definitely good).

You do have to rest. Even though it sucks to think you are becoming a weak wimp, your body and brain need it. And it is true, you will never be able to rest and sleep like this ever again. Enjoy it, revel in it!

Anonymous said...

I think the feeling you are having are totally normal. And if they aren't we are both abnormal because I feel the same way.

Your plan sounds like it will be good for both you and bruiser. I find meat really hard to swallow right now, so I drink smoothies in the morning with whey powder, raspberries and yogurt - it gets me a lot of protein and calcium and satisfies me for hours.

the misfit said...

I think that all sounds like an excellent plan. Heck, you have a blank check to have a daily afternoon nap - you'd be crazy not to take it!

nancy said...

You keep doing all your brain is telling you to do.

And I totally agree with annacyclopedia. I had an u/s once a week with Mr Karl and he measured like 6 weeks ahead at some points. And behind at others. I had 26 u/s throughout my pregnancy, so yeah. I saw all the crazy differences it can be.