Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Heart My Fetus

So, when I was all tied in knots last week? The very next day, the dude decides it's time to launch a movement campaign akin to David Byrne in his big-suit-wearing heyday.

Another odd thing: Being terrified about my body hurting Bruiser somehow made him more real. This whole experience has felt so bizarrely surreal at times. To the extent that I find myself thinking, "Wow, it would be great to be pregnant," only to realize that, wait, I am pregnant! That habit of mind from the years of IF is still with me (or my short-term memory is completely and utterly shot and I need to be treated for pregnancy-induced dementia).

I have been so overwhelmed with love for this little fetus/soon to be full-fledged person with legal rights. I can't believe I'm going to have the joy and privilege of raising him.

Six weeks or so, and we meet face to face. Holy shit.

11 comments:

annacyclopedia said...

Yes. I totally get this. I've found it really comforting to remind myself that my anxiety about things going wrong with our wee bit is part of my attachment to and love for this creature. And not just yet another sign that I have well and truly lost my shit.

I am so excited for you to meet Bruiser face to face. It is going to be awesome.

Suraita said...

I'm glad the David Byrne movement has begun. :)

I hope your remaining six weeks are fast but uneventful!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are down to 6 weeks!

battynurse said...

Wow. Time is flying. The count down is on to his arrival!

Suraita said...

Glad to hear you've got a little David Byrne dancer in there!

I hope your remaining six weeks goes by fast but is very uneventful...other than the big event.

'Murgdan' said...

So cool to think about! :-)

nancy said...

Holy shit it right. 6 weeks! Yahoo!!

kate said...

Oh, so glad to hear that Bruiser has straightened up and is moving around for his mamma. You've got to let them know who's boss early, lest they come out with an attitude, right?

Wow. SIX WEEKS! That is just so incredible! So soon!

alicia said...

ahh 6 weeks! i remember having those moments when pregnant, like totally forgetting that I was!

they still happen even with Ivy here! I look at her and can't believe she is mine.

TABI said...

Yahoo! You are in the final stretch!! So excited for you!

dubYoga said...

It's true. Even with all the pain and panic and full discomfort, you will never be pregnant with this person again. It's all growing up from there, right? I have to remind myself of that too.