I don't know why Public Enemy is running through my head regarding my first baseline ever, but what a IFer know?
Now I finally have something to talk about! I like facts, events, and details, which is why I like doing history. I have some facts to share.
Basically, except the damned wait in the pregnant lady pen (aka the obgyn practice where my RE does his monitoring locally), all was smooth. I don't really have negative feelings about the womb wand, which I guess is a good thing, because it would be rough if that procedure was accompanied by a sense of humiliation and sadness. For me, it's all about the wonder at this point. It's so cool to see the blobby images of my ovaries, currently cyst-free with several baby follicles forming, my ute, my illiac blood vessels, etc. Even my guy was really enjoying the grainy, b/w show. Curiosity is an excellent antidote for anxiety, for us at least.
The tech was very nice and answered all my questions about how things look (very good). So after about 10 minutes we fled the building, giggling and rode home (just a few minutes away) listening to Willie Nelson.
I also got my meds this morning in their little cooler. The instructions--a thick pile of papers covered in tiny font print--were emblazoned with a friggin' clip-art stork replete with bundle of dangling joy. Puke. It made me want to riffle through the polar packs, just in case some had indeed plopped a baby in with my order. (free infant with every thousand dollar purchase of stims!)
Excuse the crude joke. I know the pharmacy folks mean well. It just seems somewhat cruel: What if this package is headed for an IF veteran who really doesn't need her nose rubbed in it? I think an aesthetic of neutrality should prevail in these matters.
Another random thing I noticed was the "organ0n" printed on the pen case. I know that's the med company, but hey fellow IFers, did you know that is very close to the name of the retreat/commune of Wilhelm Reich, innovative psychologist and promoter of the orgasm who fled Nazi Germany for Maine? It's also mentioned in a Kate Bush song from "Hounds of Love," just in case you cared. Reich was a fascinating guy, regardless of what you think of his somewhat out there theories. A lot of his thinking laid the groundwork for the social changes of the 1960s and 70s in America, and for the New Age movement. Yes, I'll shut up now.
And last but not least, thanks for all your awesome suggestions! Keep them coming, if more come to mind. Be as specific as you want. I'll try to compile them this week and make a big ol' post about it. I might also put a call out to Lost and Found, to get as many suggestions as possible.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
fascinating bit of history there. I don;t like the stork bundle thing. as if! too bad they don't give out baby coupons with those meds -- I could have a few by now!
well you're on your way now. looking fwd to following your journey too.
Yay for good baselines!
I'm still waiting for my call from the nurse to see if my estrogen is OK.
I love an ultrasound. I've gotten pretty good at reading them, I think. Although at first, the antral follicles just appear to be a big blob to me. But later on when you go in for monitoring, the follicles look like little bubbles.
we had u.s on the same day! that is so awesome!! I can't believe they put a stork on the box! That is sooo crappy. can't wait to see that list too!
I love your facts! I'll totally be reading up on Reich and his outlandish theories, of which I know nothing.
I love to see my lady bits during the u/s, too. The first time, my sonographer showed me a whole bunch of detail and I thought it was just awesome. The wonder and awe has faded a bit, but it's still cool.
And you are so right about the "aesthetic of neutrality" thing. But is it weird of me to think that's kind of a cool band name?
A former Nazi who promoted the orgasm fled to Maine??? I am super intrigued. I would love for you to post more on this! (distraction technique #2 -- tintillate your readers).
Good Luck with the cycle :) and yes, ban that damn stork crap.
Post a Comment