Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ramblin' round up

The kids did really well on their first day. Of course, they were far too cool for school, but that comes with the 12-14-year-old territory. The ones that weren't excited about what we were learning were complacent their boredom, and a couple of the kids I wanted to adopt on the spot, including one amazing budding young feminist. I wanted to give her a big hug and yell, "You go girl!"

I only have two more (albeit 3 hour) classes with them, so I think I'll make it without any anguish. Now, if I only I could get motivated to do all the other crap I'm supposed to be doing...

We had a wonderful time at my folks' place: My man and my dad are buddies and spent most of the weekend working with plants or talking about them. My mom was wonderfully relaxed and vibrant compared to years past, thanks to retirement and Curves. Everybody was doing well, and my dad is very grounded re: his upcoming cancer treatment. He's very open about it, and very thoughtful and very confident he's going to beat it. We took a couple of lovely long walks, my guy and I, and talked farming. He's found his calling, and I'm glad: he needs to be his own boss. I let my hair down and ate lots of delicious lavender cookies and drank sparkling wine. It was great not to give a shit, to sit with my loved ones under the bittersweet-covered pergola, and enjoy the unseasonably ideal summer weather.

Next week, I have my first serious appointment with Dr. Spunk (my seldom mentioned RE) to start me shooting up. I feel neither optimistic or pessimistic, just that I'm doing what needs to be done. The right thing for us at this point.

Now, if I can just keep from gaining 20 pounds in the process... I don't have any money to buy a whole new wardrobe. And if I'm going to barren, I want to be svelte, damn it!!! Any tips?

16 comments:

kate said...

Well, Miss Triathlete, if YOU can't keep from gaining 20 lbs during a cycle, how are the rest of us to have any hope at all??? I say just treat yourself as well as possible, and know that after it's all said and done, if you've gained any weight, you can work on losing it at that point, right?

You'll do great, I'm sure. I just know it.

I'm glad to hear that the teaching is going well. As I said before, I just really dig that age group. There's just something so honest and awkward and perfect in that age range.

H and I talk on occasion about buying a small farm north of the city on the edge of the mountains. It's really beautiful and peaceful and serene up there. Someday. Someday I'll find a little slice of mine where I can hermit myself up and tell the whole world to go shove it, and grow my weeds as tall as I want, and run nekkid through my back yard without freaking out the neighbors. Nice. Someday...

loribeth said...

Great to have you back!! So glad school is going well & that you had a good visit with your parents. (I will be doing that soon too.)

I want to be svelte too, but unfortunately, my body doesn't seem to have gotten the message. :p If you find the secret, let me know...!

Mrs. Spit said...

I have found that keeping a food journal helps. When I have to write down all of the stupid fat-filled things I eat, I tend to eat less of them.

alicia said...

I am glad your dad is thinking so positivly! and I am so glad you were able to relax and not be overwhelemed! those kids sound great too!

good luck with the dr appointment! I am sure you won't gain that much weight! espically with all your exercise plans :)

Joonie said...

I wouldn't worry about gaining weight. So what if you put on a few pounds it's for a good cause. You can always lose them later.

JellyBelly said...

yoga! but that's my advice for everything!

props to you for teaching teenagers. i can't even begin to understand kids in that age group and i can't wait to spend my days with six year olds!

Io said...

I'm glad the first day went well - I hope it keeps up for the next two classes!
It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend - but...did you say lavender cookies? I can't quite figure out that taste in my mind. Are they like sugar cookies with lavender flavoring?
And hey, if you gain twenty pounds, I'll send you all my clothes from when I was skinny and they should fit!

luna said...

glad the teaching and farming is going so well. sounds like you had a great visit and are enjoying summer.

I'm NOT the right person for tips about not gaining weight -- but if anyone can do it, that would be you. just be sure you take it easy as those ovaries start plumping!

best of luck to you!

Pamela T. said...

What a cool class you're leading. Really admire you and your guy for finding your passions.

Sounds like a perfect weekend. Glad it was so relaxing and enjoyable.

As for tips on the weight control thing, I swear by taking flax seed oil tablets. They have managed to regular my metabolism like nothing I've ever tried. Barleans is my fave brand.

Geeks in Rome said...

we're talking hormone bloat-weight gain and not food-overindulgence, right? don't know how to beat that... yoga? T-Tapp? I would think something that gets your lymphatic system flushing would be good. Too much strength-type exercise will just give more bulk.

I had no idea your man was a plant man!! I desperately needed avocado tree advice last month, but now it's too late. RIP, poor tree.

Ms Heathen said...

I love the budding young feminists! It's so inspiring to watch the next generation coming up through the ranks!

Glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time at your parents' house - it sounds like you're going into your appointment with Dr Spunk in the best possible frame of mind.

Paula Keller said...

Glad it's going better! That is definitely a tough age. I think personally anything about 4th grade can be tough. But that's just me.

Injectables are not bad, and get easier after you've done a few. You'll be fine. :)

Denise said...

I didn't hesitate to treat myself during my cycles, but I tried to keep exercising as long as I could (until my ovaries got too large and uncomfortable). I figured if I got pregnant, I wouldn't care if I started out a couple of extra pounds heavier. Of course, the vomiting and lack of appetite took care of that!

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

I agree with Kate's comment. Treat yourself well and know that whatever the outcome, you can still beat the crap out of us because YOU can train for a triathalon, while I'll STILL be sittin' on my rear complaining about my situation and eating bon bon's in the process. :-P

Glad you were able to have a fun and relaxing time at your parents' place!

Malloryn said...

Hurray for budding young feminists! I'm glad that the teaching is going well, and that you had a good visit with your parents.

the Babychaser: said...

Good luck on the shots! The only weight-gain advice I can give you is two-fold:

1. This first one is obvious: try not to comfort yourself with food. Had a hard time with my FET and gained a lot of weight. Thought I would lose it right away and I was WRONG. I've been upset about it all summer.

2. Not so obvious: don't panic if you bloat up. You'll think you've gained 10 pounds, but most of it will go away within a few weeks after you're cycle (assuming you're not pregnant, that is).

Again, good luck!