Thursday, June 26, 2008

The fun just don't stop

You gotta love it. I went yesterday morning to my appointment for a follow-up pap, and of course, they couldn't do it because of my period. The RN took a look at the hulking lymph node and put me on two weeks of antibiotics, as she suspected infection (a blood count confirmed that suspicion, and ruled out lymphoma--always a plus). I was so disheartened by the pain and seemingly endless shit train I've been on this year that I broke down after my dear guy took me home. Of course, I thought and still think, this kind of bizarre-ass crap only seems to happen to me.

My dearest guy called in sick and we spent the day thumbing our noses at 4$/gallon gas, driving to very special place down south with sandstone box canyons and gorgeous stands of rare hemlocks. The valley where we hiked was inhabited as early as 12,000 years ago, and pocked with interesting rock formations and dramatic shelters, where little creeks dripped from high above into rocky, ferny pools below. We had ice cream, one of those ridiculous St@rbucks drinks, Mexican food on the square of a very funky small town (and I mean funky--not all charming like town squares are in New England).

Now, if I can just fend off a yeast infection and get my groin back to its normal topography, I'll be happy. I'm still very tired, but starting to see the light at the end of the lymphatic tunnel.

5 comments:

kate said...

Ah, what a rotten bunch of crap. But your little mini-break sounds divine. What a lovely way to spend the afternoon. I'm very envious. H is encouraging me to take a half day today because I couldn't stop crying on the way to work today, 'cos there's a lot of stressful shit going on in my world right now. But unfortunately, said stressful shit requires my attention at work and thus, I can't take the time off.

Man, I would pay tons of money to just get out of here for a few hours and spend some time in as lovely a place as you described.

loribeth said...

Sorry you're having such a crappy time of it. :( I've been having one of those springs myself, only with me, it's been my ear/nose/throat/sinuses. Glad you were able to do something nice for yourself -- I hope it helped the spirits, if not the lymph node!!

luna said...

ugh. the hits just keep on coming, don't they? hope you can get this treated fast. your day sounds lovely, aside from that.

I'm off to the doc to get treated for (probably) a UTI. yuck.

Io said...

Sounds like a great day. I'm wondering where you went - I need a day like that!
I hope your whole groin area gets all fixed up.
BTW, speaking on thumbing your nose at gas prices - if you want, next Wednesday I'm having an IF picnic in the evening (6ish?) with Mel from Indyness, and Bon from Scrambled Eggz in G*rfield Park if you'd like to come. I know it's quite a drive and in the middle of the week, but we'd love to have you if you feel like coming.

annacyclopedia said...

The afternoon sounds lovely.
But I can't help but share your feeling that these bizarre snags seem to have a special liking for you. Ouch! Hope your groin is back in full vibrant health in the near future.