Saturday, June 7, 2008

Spoiled Rotten

That's me, after a year of not having to work at a job thanks to my fellowship. Now, after a few days of spending eight hours making press calls and plotting publicity strategies, I'm exhausted. I hate p/r work. I like writing press releases, but hate, hate contacting the media trying to sell them shit. Journalists are generally a cool bunch (except the people at glossies; they baffle me), but they're really stressed now, with all the shit going down at traditional outlets. Online stuff has yet to prove its effectiveness, so most clients still want print or radio. Frustrating.

Thursday's training was a bit humiliating: After our 14-mile bike ride in the blazing mofo sun, I couldn't make it more than a few tenths of a mile of our run. My ovaries screamed (I just ovulated) in violent protest, railing at me. I gave up and biked home. I've had some lovely FM, and therefore some lovely sex (yes, remember that? One thing that hasn't suffered--yet--from IF) and we're left with the feeling that we've done our damnedest. I refuse to hope on principle, but that's my little coping secret.

I haven't had much time to think over the past few days. I've just been treading water trying to keep up with the bare necessities at my temp gig and at home and at school and at the Y. It hasn't been stressful per se, just demanding.

On a completely different note (this post is just a string of non sequitors, sorry), my husband and I considered arc building this week, as a torrent of mucky flood waters overtook our little downtown, transforming the main drag into a rushing river, replete with rafting co-eds equipped with inflatables and shades. Darwinian selection at work: that is how people die in flash floods, dear students. Anyway, due to the temporary Venetian conditions, it took 25 minutes to get home by car (it normally takes about 5). It was impossible on bike, as the road between downtown and our house was covered with a fast-moving sheet of brown water where a creek exploded from its culvert. As one fellow traffic-curser shouted when we asked what the deal was, "It's Armageddon for no reason!"

Indeed.

16 comments:

luna said...

wow you are seriously working yourself. glad to hear infertility hasn't wreaked havoc on your sex like, as it has for so many... good luck with the floods.

and thanks for your kind comments, as always.

alicia said...

I could see you being successful at building an arc! Good luck with that, and I sure hope all that ovary pain is a good sign!

loribeth said...

I work in corporate communications, but more of an internal/shareholder role. I think I'd hate media relations too!

I hope the water didn't get anywhere near your house -- that's the worst.

Io said...

Dude, I am so sorry you have to work. I feel you. However:
Yay sex!
I hope the weather gets better - I'm sick of worrying that I and all my worldly possessions are going to blow or float away.

JellyBelly said...

don't worry, i don't begrudge your complaining! after all, i do get two months off every year (although i spend the first two weeks drooling on myself since i'm completely braindead from teaching ten year olds for ten months!)!

DC said...

Wow! You've got a lot going on! The training sounds brutal.

Rachel said...

The flooding sounds awful.

When is your tri? I am thinking about doing one in October. I'm not a swimmer though so I may do the duathlon instead.

Geeks in Rome said...

"It's Armageddon for no reason!"
that's funny! or is there a reason and it's payback for not using low-flow flushing toilets? Gas-guzzling SUVs to go a 1/4 mile?
I hope you got your ark built!

kate said...

eesh. sucky weather abounds...

I've always thought there was something really primal in a flood. I grew up on a small islet between two fairly large creeks, so until the county finally built large enough bridges, our comings and goings were largely determined by weather patterns. Anyway, yes. Idiots that play in floodwaters exemplify self-selection at it's best. I remember a really really stupid girl that I went to school with whose mother and aunt took her and her cousins to play in the creek's raging, swollen torrential currents, 'cos they thought it would be fun, and that chick ended up clinging to a tree, and having to be rescued by airlift. Idiots...

Anyhow, right back at you with the hydration thing- it sounds like you're getting hit hard by the evil day-star right now, too.

Kim said...

Good Luck this cycle! NCLM

Ms Heathen said...

Glad to hear that you are just about keeping your head above water (quite literally, from your description of the flood!), and managing to keep up with the competing demands of work, study and training.

Rebeccah said...

Wow, you have a lot going on now! The triathlete thing is continually impressive to me. I can barely walk up the stairs lately ... Anyway, hope the flooding doesn't get worse. I've tagged you on my blog -- hope you don't mind?

the Babychaser: said...

I wish I could remember what it was like to have sex. Our sex life seems to have completely given out on us. I'm glad for you, that you still have that. And maybe this will work out for you!

nancy said...

I agree. Work sucks. Except I haven't had the luxury of having a year off.

Wow. THAT would be bad ass.

Sunny said...

Via NaComLeavMo.

I wish I had half your motivation to be physically active! I feel like a big old slob just reading about what you've been up to. Any tips for a chocolate-loving couch potato?

Ginny said...

Visiting from NCLM! I haven't worked in a few years. I was thinking about going back, but not sure I can do it, lol. Hope things get better for you!