Monday, June 2, 2008

Recovered

After riding 20 miles and running 2 and biking home, I spent Saturday afternoon passed out on the floor revisiting my dear friend, Brother Cadfael, and his crime-solving herbalist adventures. Propped up on pillows, cooled by a conveniently placed fan, I ate to my heart's content and faded in and out of consciousness.

Once my man came home from work (the poor guy often has to work Saturdays), we biked over to our friends' housewarming party, where we gorged on grilled veggies, meat-like products, brats, and finally our garden strawberries, which have recently gone berserk and produced a ridiculous amount of berries in a short span of days.

I drank wine, folks! Wine! Whoopee! It tasted so damn good. It felt so damn bad yesterday, even though I stuffed myself and only had 2.5 glasses. Can you say lightweight? The girl who used to knock back 8 Bloody Marys without flinching, and still walk home.

But damn! It was worth it. Just to chat, laugh, turn cartwheels, cruise home on our bikes in the dark slightly buzzed. I felt human, whole, free, all that good stuff.

16 comments:

kate said...

Man! Good for you!

I wish my berries had survived Slug-o-rama '08.

And wine is goooood. I had a glass with dinner last night and it made me positively giddy. Yeah, I've totally turned in to a lightweight...

alicia said...

that is sooo wonderful! Isn't it great to feel human and free! I am glad you had such a good weekend!

DC said...

It's amazing how great wine tastes when you're between fertility treatments, huh? :)

Jendeis said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day. Mmm, strawberries!

Mrs.X said...

Gorging and boozing are both excellent - and Very American - past times. Excellent carrying on of the tradition!

How is Brother Cadfael?

Glad to hear you gave way to Bacchus!

JellyBelly said...

woohoo! it sounds like you had a great time!

although i haven't been able to drink for over four years (stupid sick colon, stupid colitis!) i often wish that i could sit back and have a nice glass of red wine. i'm sure i'd be a total lightweight -- a far cry from tequila shots and the beer drinking of my past!

Io said...

You sound so alive! (Um, especially considering all that mileage - good grief!)

nancy said...

tell you how jealous I am. I've now worked 27 days in a row. 4 more to go before I get a day off.

Mrs. Spit said...

Umm, I'm tired just reading that. I'm going to have a nap now!

Kim said...

Sounds like a great day. I wish we had berries - the rabbits get ours before they even turn red!

luna said...

good for you! wine is yummy. and riding buzz, that brings me back to living by the beach as a youngen...

Ms Heathen said...

Reading your posts always make me feel horribly lazy, Shinejil!

I think one of the things about not drinking regularly is that you become far more susceptible to the effects of alcohol - I can't knock back anything like what I used to, but do feel better for it.

Glad you had such a fun weekend.

Geeks in Rome said...

I love how you can bike everywhere! and here I thought only people in Holland could do that. Good for you two!

Global warming has been very good for our strawberries too! come over and see:
http://geeksinrome.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is awesome that you are training for a triatholon. I don't think I could put myself through that kind of torture but I know you will be so proud of yourself for accomplishing something so challenging! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie, I am back after a break from my computer and catching up with your life. I can't believe what you did- amazing. and I'm so happy you had such a nice time. Wine, lovely wine.

Malloryn said...

That sounds like a great time! I tend to indulge in a post-AF glass of wine (or two) and they definitely affect me more than they used to. It's in a good way, of course ;)