I don't need your sympathy. I don't even need your understanding. I really don't need your judgment, comments, or advice, however well meaning. But I'd like to set the record straight.
First: I did not "wait to have kids." I did not put off having children due to some high-powered career. In fact, I divorced my first husband, in part, because he didn't want to start a family when I was ready, which was in my mid-twenties. Even though I was in graduate school. I looked seriously for a partner who would want to get married and have children after my marriage failed. It took me years to find a man I wanted to have children with, and when we made the decision to tie the knot, we got cracking on the kid front immediately. That was three years ago, and no dice. Not even a decent diagnosis.
Second: I would love to adopt, sure. But I need the following things: a) a partner who considers adoption a possible option and not a painful admission of defeat and despair; b) several years; c) several tens of thousands of dollars. If you can't tell me how to acquire these things, you do not have any advice for me. I don't feel strongly that my child would have to be a white, healthy infant. I'd be happy to consider a sibling pair of an ethnic heritage different from mine, even with health challenges. I'd prefer to adopt domestically. I am afraid, however, of my inability to parent a child with severe emotional or developmental problems. I don't know if I'd be able to handle such an important task with requisite compassion and patience. I'm afraid I'd do even more damage to an already struggling human being. Adoption is never about just doing it.
Third: This isn't about Darwinism, or world population. If you're keen on keeping human population low, take that burden on yourself and forgo biochildren and promote rational birth control options. I think we can all recall men and women who had no trouble producing ample offspring and just as easily neglecting them. Plenty of idiots breed, friends. When you cite figures that state that 18% or what have you of women in the 19th century didn't have kids or some such pseudo-social science stat, please state your source. And remember infant mortality. The great majority of that mythical 18% lost their children, often not long after bearing them. How many couldn't conceive is another issue altogether, and one I'd be surprised if you could get any data for. So please, give me a break.
Lastly: I have a life. I have work that I love, artistic pursuits that I pursue, gardens I tend. I will be a complete, happy human being regardless. I am not obsessed with babies and/or having them. I want to give my love to a child, and my husband longs profoundly, viscerally for this child to be his biological child. We honor that wish together, and together we've decided to spend a shitload of money to treat my mysterious physical problem that's apparently in the way. You know, the way you so often spend shitloads of money on useless clothing, electronics, "toys"? We spend money to make our vision for our lives a reality. At this point, it's the only option we agree on as a couple. This option is very intense and time consuming. Kind of like everything else in this world worthwhile.
***
Sorry, dear bloggybuddies, for the silence. Work and an in-law visit has left zero time for blogland, which sucks. I've missed you all! The above screed is what happens when you read the comments to stories like the Well column in the NYT.
More soon--and less in the Rosa Luxemburg mode, I swear!
Friday, June 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
26 comments:
Amen. For some stupid reason I read the comments to an article like that despite knowing they will inevitably piss me off.
I often wonder how many of the "why don't you just adopt" brigade have actually adopted themselves? It's as if, to them, if you can reproduce naturally, do so. If you have trouble, adopt! Adoption is just for the infertile apparently.
Grr...
hallelujah. seriously, it's about time a letter like this got plastered on the NYT comments page. I got so angry I had to click away. thanks for articulating your truth to dispel the ignorance.
(standing & applauding) Well said!!!
Last night I couldn't sleep, and I spent my time composing a response to those comments to the same NYT article. Now I don't have to write it- you have done a much better job than I ever could. Thank you, Shinejil, for doing the work for me. I am amazed that there are such judgmental and insensitive people in the world.
I loved this line in your post: "This option is very intense and time consuming. Kind of like everything else in this world worthwhile."
Well done!
Hear hear!
Sing it sista'!
I went over there, and saw that there were over 300 comments! Of course after reading your rant (which I loved!), I think it best for me NOT to read those comments so that I don't get fired up.
My well-meaning father today even said, "well, blah blah adopted and then got pregnant".
I BEG for a study that proves how many people conceived after adopting!
And, I'm right there with you on the adoption thing. I'd totally do it, but my husband is vehement about the biological thing.
People are ignorant. Dumb. Idiots.
'cept us, of course! :)
If you posted just once this month, this would more than fulfill your requirement for ass-kicking blogging! Fabulous post and such a wonderful retort to all of the IDIOTS who posted.
Brava!
Ahh, just had this conversation with a coworker who has been trying for 8 years. Can I add,
-For the love of God and all that's holy, you don't make me feel any better when you tell me that your husband just has to look at you, and bang you are pregnant. The miracle of conception and pregnancy and childbirth is an absolute miracle, even if it's really easy for you!
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Amen sister. Love this post. Ditto to all.
The people who need to read this probably won't. It has been disheartening to read the comments from the ignorant, but wonderful to know that Pamela has received support and well wishes from people who might not have otherwise found her. In addition, she is able to help and support those who need to hear her words of wisdom.
www.twinpeas.com/wordpress (here from NCLM)
Shinejil. You're so brilliant I can't stand it. Thanks for posting this letter. Different circumstances, same feelings. But holy mackerel, can you lay it down!
Glad you're back. I haven't been around much either - still getting used to working again. Really puts a damper on the amount of time I spend in blogland...
Oh, and I just went over (foolishly, I know) to read the comments to that NYT article. Grrrrr. Now I really need to go join the Vets.
http://www.vetmafiabloggers.blogspot.com/
Brilliant post! If only some of them would actually read and take on board your coments!
Hope that work is going well.
Couldn't agree more with your post!
I was just having a similar conversation with someone today about this.
Our "mistake" is that we are not following our animal destinies (or the prehistoric plan) which entails we women be cornered and copulated with as soon as some horny dude sees fit, have babies starting at 16 years of age, get help with our 6 children from the other unsupported female relatives we're living with in a hut/cave/prefab, bury 8 of our offspring before they reach the age of 5, hope our good looks last long enough to get some other horny dude stopping by to drop off a dead deer for dinner, and be pretty psyched that we're suddenly mysteriously infertile at 36.
Because we are strangely no longer following that ancient scenario that worked so well for millions of years (especially for other animal species) we ARE the ones to blame for being childless at the reproductive-elderly age of 36 or what-have-you.
You would think NYT readers would be a bit more hip? maybe not compassionate, but at least clued in... Whatever.
Ouch! The comments on that article are harsh! They should come talk to me. I'll set them straight! I've been married for almost 14 years and have never gotten pregnant without a doctor. And I got married at 23 and we started trying right away!
Hola from NCLM :)
I love your letter to the fertiles! I don't know how many times I've heard..you shouldn't have waited so long (I am 32 years old for God's sake! & since when is it a bad thing to wait til you are married & stable?!?). I just met someone today who told me I should "just" adopt. Just...hahaha!
Take care and good luck with your next cycle :)
Bravo! Well said! Thanks! nclm
Very well said! It should be mandatory reading for all fertile folk!
Argh, I"m sorry clueless people are being unpleasant. I just really hope they are clueless and that they are not immediate family members. And can I add something to the list? The assumption that it's all the woman's fault (not biologically, timing and choice wise). Every close couple I know who have waited for years or decided to delay adoption/not to adopt it was the guy's choice. So why do we always hold women accountable?
That was a great letter, and so true. I saw a link to the comments from that NYT article on Matthew's "Maybe Baby" blog, and I was shocked at the cruel, hateful things some people said.
Many people seemed to paint infertiles are 'selfish' for not pursuing adoption right away. They have NO idea how much of a personal choice that is! And to call infertility a 'so-called' medical condition? That implies that we are somehow to blame for our situation.
I'm sure some people post these terrible things just for the sake of getting attention, but there are likely several that believe what they're saying. It made me so grateful for the tightknit community we have here, where we can be open about our thoughts and feelings.
Yeah, SCREW YOU SHITTY FERTILES!
I wish I could have written this as well as you did because I oh-too-frequently feel the same way myself.
I've been away from the bloggy world, too, due to guests all up in my space. And I have missed everyone, too. It's good to be back, at least for a bit.
Put my name down on that letter too!! I read the NYT comments too and was so upset by the harsh comments. I was boiling! I encourage others to set these fertile minds straight so they learn to not say such ridiculous things!!!
Amen sista! I don't need fertiles' understanding or sympathy but SPARE ME the judgments!! Well said!
some ppl can sure say some stupid things. I think you wrote this letter to the fertiles perfectly. I will refer them all to you to read this! thanks!
It pisses me off to no end that we would ever have to explain any of that!
Fertile people can be so damn insensitive and clueless at times.
Post a Comment