Okay, enough of this whining and moaning and cursing pudgy ob patients and idiotic drivers. I have some good news.
No, not that good news.
But my wonderful FIL and stepMIL (modern families--so complicated!) gave us their old Acura. We were kind of like the Beverly Hillbillies, taking off our straw hats and wiping our brows in awe. Air conditioning! Automatic transmission! Radio and CD player! What will they think of next, I tell you!
This means that I can finally get my license. I know how to drive and had a license until my early 20s, when I lived in NYC and let it lapse, then lost the actual license. I never had a car, and thus never went about trying to get a license again. I walked everywhere or biked or took the bus.
Now, I'll be able to drive myself to the RE's office 60 miles away, or to the store! How exciting!
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
How exciting!!! (And you can visit ME! Or I could visit you. Seeing as how I have had a car and all...)
Yipee
I have my license but don't drive either. Flunked my road test twice when I was 16 & totally lost my confidence. Then my learner's permit lapsed (I had no idea that it did!), & I had to take the written test all over again. When dh & I got married, I knew it would be horrendous to take the road test in Toronto, so I hired the local driver's ed instructor for a few private lessons to brush up & then took & passed the test in the small, one stoplight town where my parents live. So I do have my license, but city driving unnerves me, & we had a standard for the first seven years we were married. And after awhile, you get used to getting into the passenger seat.
I was committed to driving again when I was pregnant -- no way I was going to be stuck with an infant in suburbia & no wheels! -- but when I lost the baby, it didn't seem so important anymore. :(
Enjoy your new freedom!
welcome back to the world of us planet-ruining-selfish-driver-assholes! We're a fun lot!
I grew up in the country, so the brief periods in my life when I didn't have a car were TORTURE, 'cos I literally couldn't do anything but sit at home. Of course, now I'm wishing that I could shrug off the car and go without. Alas, the bus system here is ridiculous, and there are no sidewalks. So that's kinda not going to happen for a while. Oh, well.
Congrats on the awesome car! Even if you don't always need it, it will be nice to have.
I'm still impressed that you've lived in the midwest for so long without one. cool. now if you could just get some of that there oil out of the ground to fillerup...
Ohhhhh! THAT'S why you biked to the OBGYN! I just thought you were super duper health conscience! Which would be alright, but...
The more I read blogs, the more I realize how lucky I am to have an RE 10 minutes up the road. So many have to drive a long way.
Congrats!
Hooray!
Congratulations on the car!!!!
Cool! I just got my license for the first time 5 years ago, and I don't live in a very great climate for walking/biking all year round, but somehow I managed it. But it felt really great to have that freedom when I finally got my license, so I'm excited for you. Being able to go out of town on your own is so huge! Road trips! Hoorah!
The independence of a car is a wonderful thing, gas prices notwithstanding. Hurry for the Acura. Now you have to name it.
yay!!! i would go insane if I could not drive!
You are always free to whine to me if you want to, no worries. But am glad you have good news to report. Happy driving!!! (frankly, I hate driving so whenever I can get someone else to do it, I do.)
Congrats on the car! Enjoy your new found freedom, and have fun with that pesky driver's license test. Cheers from NCLM. :o)
Now YOU can run healh-and-planet-loving bikers off the road! Wuoahahahahaha!!!!
Hi- here via NCLM. Congrats on getting the car and your license!
Hey, sweet! Congrats on the new car! Having your own car can make life so much easier.
Visiting from NCLM
yay! i don't know what i would do without my trusty midge (a.k.a my little c.o.r.o.l.l.a).
in my head my car = freedom. although i wish i could drive less, it's pretty impossible to live in the 'burbs without one.
i love it when in-laws are helpful!
It will change your life! We didn't have a car in Italy for 8 years until someone gave us her British (steering wheel on the right -- cool) vehicle. I drove it without a valid Italian license and then when the UK insurance ran out after a year we had to junk it. (The Italians wouldn't insure a car without Italian papers -- so much for the European Union).
But we got hooked on mobility so hubby and I both got Italian licenses and bought a second-hand Rover 2-door. After that died we got a used Ford Galaxy!!!
It's a slippery slope -- in 10 years we'll probably succumb to a CIA-auctioned off Hummer.
Post a Comment