Thursday, June 26, 2008

Future Days

I can't work on academic nonsense today. My guy gave me orders to putter around and relax. So I'm posting twice in one day.

I'm plotting our next move--FSH and IUI--by seeing if there are any tests they want to run on me. Now, my veteran comrades, don't laugh at me if I feel somewhat slightly vaguely optimistic about this next step. Even if it's only because, hey, I'll only have to do it a couple times before we a) go for IVF (most likely scenario: My man won't rest until we've tried it all); b) run screaming from the IF buffet; c) decide to wander the globe with a guitar, a mule, and a bag full of seed potatoes, proselytizing about the benefits of homegrown fingerlings. Not as unlikely as you might think.

This is stupid, perhaps, but what worries me more than OHSS and multiples (I know, no laughing matters) is the exercise ban. Some clinics in their online instructions are so damn specific, forbidding raising your heart rate about 140 BPM and prohibiting running and "cycling" (sic). If I don't get exercise, I get severely depressed. This lymph node thing has proven that to me, once and for all. My training's been on hold, and I feel so glum and useless and brainless. And just strolling a mile or two doesn't cut it. I need real activity (and frankly, I think most humans need it to feel good).

But if my ovaries are the size of grapefruits, I'm sure I'll feel differently.

Which brings me to my next rambling non-point: It could be worse. I could be on a cycle right now, with swollen ovaries AND a ginormous lymph node! That would be really fun.

Speaking of fun, here's a little video that will hopefully brighten your day. Or your angst-ridden, headache-prone ferret's day. It's from our local public access cable station and speaks volumes about our unusual community. It gets good about 2:30...

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Honestly, wandering the globe with guitar, mule and fingerlings sounds darn good! My clinic imposed the same ban on strenuous exercise during IVF (walking was ok), but honestly, when your ovaries feel like grapefruits, the idea of running feels worse!

Rachel said...

Hey, I got the 140 bpm exercise ban (but only for the first few weeks, which isn't so bad) and when I finally tried a heart monitor at the gym it turns out I wasn't even getting close to that on any exercise machine. It might be worth checking your max heart rate now because mine was much lower than I thought (and meant that I really didn't have to watch my exercise at all). I at least hope their exercise ban is only the first 4 or 6 weeks.

kate said...

Please come put potatoes in my garden. Please? I've just begun to think of what I need to start doing to expand our garden and get ready for the various early-mid-late autumn veggies.

I had to laugh a little over a clinic forbidding one to "cycle" when they are in the middle of a cycle. As far as exercise goes, I'm totally with you. I've never had that "itch" scratched by walking or yoga (both of which I like, but for very different reasons than weight lifting or running or aerobics, whatever). Perhaps you could just attempt to run slower? You're probably in good enough shape that a slow jog wouldn't get your heart rate over 140, right? Shoot, maybe it would...

What about trying some slow/modified kick-boxing? There's just something empowering about punching and kicking, even if you don't get your heart rate up high.

Or what about arguing? That's a great sport, and a good debate can leave you with that awesome rush that a good workout does, right? It's probably not good for the marriage, but it can keep you nice and vented and stuff.

I'm excited for you beginning your cycle (even if you can't cycle during your cycle... oh, god. I'm such a dork... shutting up now). Off to watch the video now.

JellyBelly said...

i'd get tested for ureaplasma and any other uterine/cervix bacteria. the antibiotics that i'm on may be a pain, but it's going to clear things up. ureaplasma can cause miscarriage and not all docs test for it. i would also get your progesterone and estrogen levels tested. since i'm a low progesterone girl i would never have been able to get pregnant or even sustain a pregnancy without a supplement.

btw, if you can't do crazy exercise you can always do light yoga!
so that's my assvice.

luna said...

wandering the earth does really sound good. mmm, fingerlings. my fave these days are japanese sweet potatoes (or are they yams), with fingerlings a close second. mmm.

Ms Heathen said...

I love the idea of wandering the globe with a guitar, a mule and a bag of seed potatoes! Can I come too?

My clinic has never said anything about not cycling while cycling; their literature just says to avoid strenuous exercise after egg retrieval. I think we all need to do whatever we can to get ourselves through these procedures - for some people that may mean lying on the sofa watching films & reading magazines, for other people that may involve getting off their bottoms and moving around (although I have to say I didn't really feel like going to the gym when I was pumping myself full of FSH every day).

Hope you feel better soon, and can start your training again.

Anonymous said...

I had the very same fear you had about the exercise-prohibition. Like you, strolling a few miles doesn't give me the endomorphin high necessary to keep my mental health shiney. I won't lie, it's been hard to watch myself turn into a blubbery mass after years of hard work. But it's not as hard as I first though, because of 1) the optimism of what might be around the corner, and 2)_ once we were successful, the joy of concentrating on that. I still have moments when I catch a relfection of myself and cringe, but I just focus on why that's happening, and remind myself that I can and will bounce back to exercise as soon as I can. I'm excited for your next steps!

alicia said...

my doc told me to do the same amount of exercise as I was before trying to get pregnant and even while pregnant. Do what makes your body happy, and it will work its best! If not exercising makes you depressed then it is not worth it to stop!