I not only have license to ill--road trip, road trip!--but I have a full mouth of teeth.
Both of these bits of news deserve some explaining.
1. I haven't had a license for years because I lived overseas, lived in NYC, lived in a little college town where I didn't really need a car to do basic errands and have fun. We've got a decent bus system here, plus I'm an avid, nay fanatical walker. Sort of an al Q@eda-grade pedestrian who would do anything to convert others to my steppin' cause. I've even considered a tee-shirt that reads "Real patriots hoof it" or something.
But I needed a license for my university job, which involves visiting bloggy buddy Io, uh, I mean attending important educators conferences.
However, I will not give up my radical two-legged ways! Give me sidewalks or give me death!
Ehem. Sorry.
2. I had a genetically malformed tooth toward the front that basically made my mouth erupt in a nasty, nasty infection for years. Yeah, I know, but you try going to the dentist when you're clearing 12 grand annually and have no insurance. Or even worse: going to a dentist in Eastern Europe (my skin crawls).
To finally solve this issue, I went a year ago to Hippy Dentist, who referred me for a root canal, but I wound up needing surgery and an implant. Now, the saga is over and I have a pricey but lovely tooth. For a year, I walked around all gappy toothed and hillybilly. Now, I can smile with bourgeois pride.
Hippy Dentist claims to admire me for my ability to set vanity aside. He said I had character. That's nice, but I'm much more happy to have a tooth.
Now all I need to do is give birth and finish my dis and I'll have cleared the to-do list. Ha.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Man, I think I need Hippie Dentist.
Hoorah for having dental things taken care of!
Your to do list is totally getting cleared out dude!
I am so excited to see you and your new tooth! Of course, now that you have all these teeth, I don't know if you'll be able to visit my house - you won't fit in my neighborhood anymore...
Yay! So excited to see you.
Oh, Shinejil! Could we possibly have more in common? I have a gap where I need an implant, and have been sporting the gap for years now. In my case it was a baby tooth that had no adult tooth under it that had been root canal-ed but had erupted in infection and could not be saved.
I actually have insurance and am just too lazy to get it done. You are inspiring me to just book it and have them restore me to the bourgeoisie. Did it hurt?
Yay license and pricey new tooth! BTW, I like your new header pic!!
Hurray for new teeth! I have an implant for one of my front teeth because I broke it as a child and then 2 years ago got it replaced with an implant. Nice to have that out of way! Also, happy driving!
oh wow! I am glad you have your tooth back!!
walking is very good I agree, but so is driving, haha, I am all about the lazy :)
You crack me up!
I am greatly amused by hippy dentist.
that reminds me, i really need to see my dentist. i'm very overdue for my 6 month check-up! oops!
i wish i could be less vain about my teeth. after wearing braces when i was a teenager i've been obsessively brushing mine ever since i got them off. i still have dreams of waking up and having all crooked teeth again. i always wake up in a mad panic and i have to check and see if my teeth are all in the right place!
if you ever want to take a road trip to southern ontario we have a spare room that's really comfy! ;)
Just catching up on your last few posts, and am so glad to hear that things are looking up for both you and your nearest and dearest.
As for your to do list, I have to say that the root canal surgery sounds marginally less daunting than buckling down to finish the diss (but maybe that's just me projecting my own anxieties onto you!)
"Now, I can smile with bourgeois pride."
Ok now that you've said that I KNOW we would be friends IRL. LMAO!!!
Ah yep! I had the very back tooth pulled a few years ago. My dentist keeps telling me to get the implant. But heck, I've got oodles of money cooped up in fertility stuff, and can't justify the implant. And it's way in the back, so the vanity thing isn't an issue. In fact, I only miss the tooth once in a blue moon when I crunch down on a chip the wrong way. He said it would be 1800 bucks!
I hope your to do list gets done soooooooooooon! :)
Post a Comment