Friday, October 3, 2008

Okay, so I am special! ... plus Home Improvement Hell

Aw, shucks. Eurydice over at Geeks in Rome gave me an award. It's in Italian (so that means it's Eurostylin') and it has a funky pyramid that would be the envy of any decent Wicca circle. That's so sweet, and I can use the sugar nowadays, especially from a gal as cool as Eurydice... former stone cutter? Expert pasta boiler? Thoughtful mom? I mean, her resume of coolness is a long one.

Of course, bloggy awards are meant to be shared. And I can't make up my mind. I love all of you that I read and bug with my silly philosophizing... Uh, otherwise, I wouldn't read you! Seriously. You all rule, and you've made me a saner, happier woman with your stories. You're all brilliante! It's been a rough ride lately, and there's no way in hell I would have gotten through all this relatively unscathed without your insights and cheers.

I wish I could invite you over to our place, make you a nice dinner, and crack open some champagne/sparkling cider and some silly, silly stories. And I'd get to show off our bathroom, which is done: "Hey everyone! Come wash your hands! And no more worries about Beezlebub popping out of the medicine chest!" Do I know how to throw an imaginary party or what?

My parents came back to town and we got a whole load of stuff done outside the bathroom. The fireplace has a thick primer coat of while masonry paint and new doors waiting to go in. I got some cool new light fixtures. The foyer is ready to tile. The holes in the floor are almost fixed...

Yes, I did say holes in the floor. No, we didn't know about them until we yanked the nasty-ass carpet. One of them is large enough to jump through (carefully)! My husband suggested spinning it in our future home listing as a "mushroom nook and fallout shelter."

We had to get a plumber to fix the leak that had caused it, and this seems to have encouraged all sorts of other leaks to form (the washing machine, toilet, etc.) and in general to have had an impact on our already shitty luck. Our computer, cell phone, bike tires, everything has gone kaplooey at once.

But I'm happy anyway. In a great mood, actually. Finally.

5 comments:

alicia said...

yay award!

kate said...

Hee. Your house is starting to sound like mine. We have GOT to do something about our bathroom. The plaster on the walls is basically crumbling, and the window frame still looks like shit, and my mom is coming to visit, and she (rather too pointedly for my taste) said, "Thank GOD" when I told her that we were trying to fix the bathroom before, so if she comes in town and sees the plaster still crumbling, she's gonna freak about how bad it is for the framework (which, I mean, I KNOW, but I haven't had time to knock down the plaster and put in concrete board, tile, etc. At this point, I would so much rather have a pro do at least the concrete-board part of it...

Sigh.


Well, good for you for getting so much done! Perhaps you have inspired me to get some shit done myself this weekend!

Mrs.X said...

I'm so glad that you are feeling better. Isn't it wonderful to feel like yourself again?

And, of course you got an award. Hello?! Shinejil is totally brilliant! Revel in your recognition and pass the champagne. I'll bring the brie.

loribeth said...

It seems like whenever you start one home project, it leads to five others. But I'm glad you're feeling happy!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, we both get to deal with scope creep! Hurray on your new bathroom though! I'm so so glad you are feeling happy. Your idea about the glass doors on the fireplace deserves its own brilliant award. I didn't know there could be a solution that simple, and I"m off to the Interwebs to see the options.