My dad got through his procedure to address his prostate cancer with flying colors. They found exactly what they thought they would, no more no less, and implanted these teensy bits of radioactive material to zap the cancer.
He was worried about the anesthesia and even gave me an envelope with instructions "just in case." I opened the envelope a tad and saw the words "scatter my ashes." I had to stash the thing in a drawer because it was too painful at that moment to read any further.
But he's doing great: still resting (watching lots of Battlestar G, apparently) and already back tackling various winter projects around the farm.
My husband's also recovered from his serious bout of anxiety-driven gut trouble, and both the gut and the mind are again at peace. He's back to playing Willie Nelson on the guitar and devouring pistachio gelato with characteristic abandon.
Our home repairs are progressing nicely. I'll be teaching in the spring. I've caught up on my academic work (sort of). I've started writing fiction again, just for fun.
Just thought it was time to share some good news, instead of my endless woeful lament of my still-pregnantitude.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
I am so glad your Dad is doing well. You sure deserve some good news.
BTW, I love the new picture and color scheme!
That is good news! I hope it is just beginning of more good news to come.
I'm so glad to hear that he made it through great. You definitely needed something good.
Very good news, indeed!
And I love that picture, too - is it a Moomin Valley character? Looks quite similar if it's not.
I love all of your good news! And the bright new color of your blog mirrors it!
yay! I am glad your dad is doing well and that your DH is doing well!
love the new layout too!
Glad to read some good news!
I feel you with the dad thing. My dad had prostate cancer, too. That part was no big deal. He had an easy recovery, and was cancer-free for 5 years... until a year after his quintuple bypass, when they couldn't figure out why he was so weak and eventually determined that he was bleeding internally due to colon cancer. That one took a little longer to recover from, but it's now a year later, he's fit as a fiddle.
It's tough to deal with the sickness of a parent, but I just wanted to share that I know that you're at least as tough as I am (probably tougher), and that if I can deal with all the crap my dad dealt with, then I KNOW that you must be totally fine, and that you and your dad will both continue to be fine.
When my dad was in the hospital a few years ago he started giving me instructions for his funeral. It was awful. (Of course, he was nowhere near death. But he apparently decided it was time to prepare.)
Pistachio gelato? Mmmmm...
I'm glad there is some good to break up the craptastic.
Glad to read all of this good news!
So glad to hear all of your good news! I hope it only continues!
Very glad to read so much good news all in one post!
Glad your dad is doing ok and the procedure went as planned.
That is a bunch of good news! It is scary when one of your parents has a serious illness. I'm really glad that his procedure went well.
Very nice! a pistachio gelato obsession is a very good sign of superb mental health!
thank goodness your dad is ok, too. prostate cancer treatments are amazingly effective today. My FIL came thru with flying colors 2 yrs ago with a similar therapy.
glad everything is looking good :)
Post a Comment