Achtung! Pity party.
...that I can be doing everything right--exercising, and I mean really exercising, at least 30 minutes a day, eating like I did before I was youknowwhat--and still not pass the GD screen and still be gaining something like two pounds a week! It's like my body's gotten all turned around: "Oh, she's not eating any sweets or fun stuff that many preggos get to enjoy, so I'll have blood sugar funkiness!" and "Oh, now I need even less food than before!"
Can I just say that I feel for my PCOS sisters right now? I finally get it.
So, yeah, I get to go to the 3 hour torture test, with 12 hour fast and four blood draws and even more disgusting shit to choke down. Because I scored 138 when the cut off is 140 and "there are risk factors" (i.e. I'm 34 and gaining ridiculous amounts of weight for reasons known only to my mysterious body). Blech.
Frankly, I'd rather just go on a diet. One even more restrictive than the one I've put myself on, that is. I'm sick of getting bled, poked, tested, and evaluated. I want to go on strike.
ETA: On second thought, all the sample GD diets I saw are DISGUSTING. Designed by some pap-loving well-meaning elderly aunt who serves prune juice on a regular basis and thinks salsa is exotic. Just shoot me.
Friday, July 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I have one piece of advice for the 3-hour GTT (which I have now done 3 times, such fun): sappy movies from netflix. You definitely need something to make the time fly, and my guess is that you'll need something with headphones to drown out the inane conversation of other people in the waiting room. Two other random tidbits to consider: if you're doing the test in a large lab that doesn't do it frequently, it's worth calling ahead and reminding them to refrigerate your fun sugar-soda. Also, definitely worth asking if you can drink water during the test (twice I've been allowed to, once not although I really can't figure out how water would affect the test results ...) but it makes the repeat blood draws much easier if you're not dehydrated.
Granted I've never been the pokee for the 3 hr GTT but I have been the poker and from what I've been told Rachel is right in asking if the stuff is refrigerated. Also there really shouldn't be a reason why you can't drink a modest amount of water. If you drank a gallon or more it might dilute things but a 20 oz bottle of water really shouldn't make that much of a difference.
Also I believe I have heard of women opting to simply eat as if the are gestational diabetic rather than go through the 3 hour test. Good luck with whatever you do.
ick. sounds awful. I hope they/you can get any potential problems under control. you should be eating gallons of ice cream, not sucking down crap medical sugar-soda!!
Oh, boo! Hope the second one gives you a clear pass and you can just keep doing what you're doing, which sounds more than adequate, in my opinion.
Oh, I'm sorry. That's horrid.
Total aside... when I read the phrase "pap-loving" I completely forgot that "pap" can mean bland food and went to the other sort of pap in my head. "Why," I thought to myself, "would an old aunt especially love to have That One Procedure performed?" Blame it on the p-word addled brain.
Aaaaand... back to the subject at hand. I hope that it goes quickly (or that the three hours only feel like two) and that you pass with flying colors.
Gosh, I thought once you were pregnant the nonsense would be over. It never ends with the doctors, does it? Well, I hope everything gets itself back into whack so they leave you alone.
Post a Comment