Thursday, July 23, 2009

It still bothers me sometimes...

...when friends and colleagues get pregnant easily. They get the gold ring after a dinky dash to the car, whilst I ran a marathon for it. They squished a pillbug, whilst I battled a dragon.

A friend just told me she's 7 weeks pregnant. She's very sweet and responsible and smart, but somehow, I'm annoyed on some level.

I wonder if I will ever stop caring.

10 comments:

the misfit said...

Hmmm...I tend to doubt it. It would make it a little harder to enjoy the experience of being pregnant at the same time as a friend, I'm thinking - unless you happened to be pregnant at the same time as a fellow IFer?

VA Blondie said...

I also get annoyed when others announce pregnancy. Not sure why. It does not seem fair that some of us have to work very hard to even get the chance.

N said...

I have to say, I wonder that a lot, too.

Malloryn said...

It's tough... I think I'll always get that twinge as well when I hear those stories. I must say though that a dragon is SO much cooler than a pill bug :)

annacyclopedia said...

My response so far has been to just feel really smug because I know I damn well earned it. Don't know if I'll ever stop that, either.

G$ said...

I think we'll be 90 year old grannies and still have those pangs of irritation.

JellyBelly said...

argh.

i was suspicious that one of my yoga friends was "in a family way" and today i overheard her talking about the lack of prenatal classes at our studio. i don't know her very well and i have no idea if she was trying for a long time, but i don't think that she's been married for a long time.

i don't get it. i honestly don't. but i do know that i will be forever jealous of fertile people.

battynurse said...

I find myself often wondering the same thing.

Geeks in Rome said...

Once I felt comfortable being a parent and that the baby was really mine and not a mirage, it wasn't so awful hearing about other people's "good news." rather, I'm more empathetic now thinking, they, too, may have gone thru hell to get there.

But what does make me hurt inside are the fertiles who were able to start having kids early enough that they can get to a good place in life and have a 3rd or 4th or whatever.

I feel so ungrateful sometimes. I was lucky to be able to have two babies, but i always wanted more. and i know i can't do that because it's in my and my children's best interest that there be a nice long break before another kid shows up and by that time I'll be 48.

So while i know I have more than many people could ever have, I still feel a big pang of jealousy when I see a larger family where the kids are spaced out (in age, not on dope) and everyone seems cooperative and happy. how weird is that!!??? it's like that intense longing for a baby (or for something other people have) never goes away even when you have one!!!

loribeth said...

Probably not. :p