Sunday, July 12, 2009

Good Times and Antarctic Exploration

Happy, happy ramblings about a good day, followed by bizarre musings on IF...

Lucky me: I got to have dinner with one of the coolest gals in the IF blogosphere: Io. And we ate Indian food. And she gave me a Pack and Play she found at a garage sale (where she also found not one but two pairs of perfect, awesomely green shoes for a quarter--I told you, she's cool). We had a great time chatting, chaating, and trading stories. I'm so grateful that this online community has allowed me to meet her, and it's about way more than simple support for our IF trials. It's about meeting an awesome free spirit with loads of joie de vivre and talents.

My guy and I spent the rest of the day in the Big City (where Io resides), enjoying Big City things: the zoo in the rain. Not for the faint of IF heart--everyone was toting idiotic kids and saying stupid shit to them about the animals: "Oooh, look at that cuddly [Amur] tiger! He's like a big kitty cat!" Uh, no it's not, moron: It's one of the most effective predators on the planet and is respected as a fearsome spirit by local indigenous people in SE Russia. Kind of like that polar bear you thought was really cute. It would tear your toddler to shreads without a second though. That is, after all, it's job.

No respect for animals and their natures! This is one of the many reasons why people still have such reactionary beliefs about "environmentalism." They just don't get what's really at stake.

But the dolphin show was really cool. Dolphins rule.

Anyway, we also went to the art museum and got really into the late medieval art and some very intriguing video installations. When video/multimedia stuff works, it can really move you.
****
So, I'm reading this very engaging book: Endurance, by FA Worsley. It's a surprisingly engrossing account of Shakleton's total polar fail. You might think this would be as dull as reading about ice melting, but it's not. There's also no mention whatsoever of pregnancy, so it's a very safe distraction for folks in the trenches.

It nonetheless reminded me of how many IF journeys unfold.

The expedition was a disaster: The main ship foundered and sank in some awful pack ice and the crew was stranded on Elephant Island, a towering hunk of rock and ice battered by some of the severest storms on Earth. A handful of men set out in a small boat, in the dead of the Antarctic winter, to find help. They make it, but what really struck me was some of the comments of the guys left behind on the island.

You'd think the physical suffering would be the biggest problem. But it wasn't: It was the waiting, and the despair. The monotony and the endless unknown of when help might come--if it was going to come at all--was their biggest deamon to conquer. Not the cold, the glaciers, the pounding swells, the poor food.

I sometimes felt vaguely like these men: cut off from the rest of the world, trapped, and bored with the seemingly endless wait. It took a greater part of my courage to manage the darkest days, and to keep looking out to sea with the fading hope that something might change. It's the mental challenge that's the hardest.

7 comments:

Io said...

Au contraire! Lucky ME getting have dinner with you (and your darling husband - how cute are you two?)

I totally get how the book applies - this waiting for the unknown thing bites. It might help me feel better though - I can't imagine if I were waiting to see if I got rescued from freezing cold and lack of food. At least with IF I get to lay around with chocolate and wine and television while I wait...

the misfit said...

That makes a lot of sense. It sounds like the marooned folk were trapped in the same place as so many IFers: get through the bad days by stalwartly believing that rescue is just around the corner, or expect nothing and embrace loss so you're ready for it when the result is permanently bad. Which would mean that waiting for death from hypothermia or starvation is like waiting for menopause...

Me said...

You came to my city and didn't tell me? I only even live 15 minutes from IO and/or the zoo! I am so offended! ;P

Geeks in Rome said...

What a great parallel! so true.

I loooove the Shackleton story. Caroline Alexander's book is a very good read with incredible photos.

I love what the story shows about effective leadership, too. His was only a partial fail b/c he didn't lose a single man (though they did lose someone else *sniff* read C. Alexander's Mrs. Chippy's Last Expedition).

If you read Philbrick's In the Heart of the Sea (about the Essex sea disaster that inspired Moby Dick) you can compare them and see what made Ernest an exemplary leader and the other guy suck. Two different approaches to hardship and trial.

Malloryn said...

Io AND Indian food? I'm soooo jealous!

I watched a documentary-type show about the Shackleton expedition a few years ago. I think Kenneth Branaugh (sp?) was the lead role. It's a fascinating story, and an eery parallel to dealing with IF.

kate said...

Waiting without knowing is the hardest part. At least it has been so far for me.

And I'm so jealous that you and Io get to meet up every so often! Someday, when I have billions of dollars, I'm going to have an all-world IF meetup, where everyone who wants to come can get on a plane and come wherever and meet all the other peeps. Sigh. Someday.

And yes, my GOD, the "Museum-Mommy" types are the WORST. The sing-songy voice, the pedantic garbage coming out of their mouths, the out-and-out BS being passed off as "knowledge"... urgh. Irritating! I sincerely hope that I won't be like that toward my children. But of course, because I've said so, I've now doomed myself to a future of exactly that. Oh, well.

luna said...

how cool you got to meet Io!

and btw, I had the same reaction to "endurance." amazing how there were no human casualties.