So, I had my first childbirth class last night. At first, I thought I was going to have to go by myself: My ever hardworking hubby had training for a part-time job all day, and had to do his regular job at night. However, thanks to our slow economy, he could slip away with me to the exciting world of hippy birth class.
Now, when I say hippy, I don't mean the old-school, hard-core, Flower-and-River-build-a-birth-teepee-type class. Not even a home birth-oriented class. They take all comers, and are very, very sweet, thoughtful, and exceedingly well-informed (the main educator has a PhD and a brain like a steel trap). But, yeah, we were all sitting on rocking chairs and eating organic apples and hearing about the magic of the birth ball.
People at random meetings like this are always the most fascinating part. There was a woman there with her mother (single mom by choice? I wondered), a couple very scared looking gals who seem nice enough, a couple hipster/hippy couples working with a completely kick-ass local midwife whom I love and adore and would have gone with if... Well, IF. You get it.
***(if you're in a bad place, skip the babblings below)
My midwife does hospital births only, and that's fine. She's all about vaginal natural births, so I feel like I've found a good compromise for my insane anxious self and my side that sees childbirth as a totally natural biological process, albeit with complicated sides sometimes.
Anyhoo, the class was fun, the educator excellent, the information familiar but with some cool added facts and twists. It was amusing to watch the guys--the hipster with his eyes wide with wonder, the sullen shy guy-guy repressing gentle waves of terror and disgust and discomfort (his wife had introduced him, and he hadn't said a word). One guy even left in the middle of the class, leaving his nervous and very young partner? wife? to deal on her own.
Interestingly, the people who knew most about their own births had the most positive reaction to the mechanics of normal labor. Something for us gals to keep in mind.
***(Okay, it's all about IF now)
However, when we were introducing ourselves, I found myself using the wierdest formulation to describe myself and our state. Nothing too out there--I just said that our kid was "apparently male"--but enough to make my husband bristle. After the class, he brought it up with me, semi-seriously.
And what do you know. I had me a meltdown. I told him that it was all going to be provisional for me until I held a living child in my arms. I couldn't be sure that any of this would end happily, and I still had doubts about what my body was able to do, as it had so often left so much to be desired... the miscarriages, the bizarre inability to get pregnant except with injections and catheders. At first, this frustrated my man, but soon he understood--and I told him he could feel confident, he just needed to acknowledge my anxiety and pain.
In tears, I finally said out loud that I still felt like a fake and a failure, with all those seemingly blithely ignorant gals around me, hoping and planning for a beautiful birth experience. I still felt that my child would somehow be more precious, more shockingly miraculous for having required the long, dark journey, and that in the end, if this little boy lives, I will have no complaints about labor, birth, interventions, whathaveyou.
In the end, my birth plan could be summed up in a few, bitter words: Oh please don't let him die. Let me die first.
I've never felt this way before.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Your birth plan is very similar to my own... just let them live. Since the beginning... since trying to get pregnant, since the needles and the blood draws and the transfers I have summed it up into "do what ever you need for the baby." My first night here, as I was being admitted, I was asked what why birth plan was. All I could say was "Whatever is best for the babies." Never once have my own needs and desires entered the equation.
I think we-- an others who have gone through similar situations-- know how much there really is to lose. What I think about a lot... morbidly or not... is not just necessarily how easily it would be to lose these guys. But how long it would ever take to get back in this same situation. Just thinking of it makes me tired and sad.
That's heartbreaking and yet understandable considering what you've been through. I'm always a bit surprised now when I hear pregnancy announcements when the woman is only a few weeks along. That's not based on personal experience, but what I've come to learn about miscarriage and loss. It's like you're viewing the world with glasses of a different color -- definitely not rose-colored. While those other people might not understand where you're coming from, we're here to support you.
"in the end, if this little boy lives, I will have no complaints about labor, birth, interventions, whathaveyou."
I feel ya. I have so many friends around me all clamoring about their birth experiences... I'm like if I get to have ANY birth experience where the product is a RLB, I'll be happy.
I'm glad you and the husband were able to talk it out (or cry it out, I guess). I sometimes think that the dude halves don't always get that emotions are a process, and just because you've had one modicum of success does not insulate you from feeling like a failure.
I mean, I cried like a baby the night before I graduated, because I just felt like such a loser being 32 and having taken so long to graduate, and choosing a fairly useless degree field, one that people have told me before was just not as rigorous as other fields, etc. And H just didn't get it. He just thought that I should be so happy to finally be finishing up, but I just kept hearing my mom (and all the other assholes along the way) ribbing me for taking so long, and asking me what the hell I planned to do with myself, and it just made me feel like a big, fat faker. Like somehow, I was no different than before, degree or not.
So, yeah. I get it. I'm glad you were able to work through some of that stuff.
I think that is a completely rational reaction given the circumstances. It's not fair that we are robbed of not only getting pregnant easily, but all other things people take for granted about having babies. Just wanted to offer some hugs.
(I love people watching too. SOOO interesting.)
I get a similar reaction when I am asked about my baby's sex. I think IF experiences change how you look at pregnancy, and many people do not understand. I honestly do not care what the sex is, as long as the baby is healthy. That is the most important thing to me.
I'm sorry that the birth class didn't feel like a regular fun experience that so many people look forward to. It's understandable how it can be difficult with being around those who had a much easier path to get to that point. I think sometimes those who've had it easy getting pregnant can be the more die hard "it has to be this way" about child birth etc and don't understand how nothing feels "normal" when you've had to fight for every step in the path to parenthood.
i'm feeling quite the same about my malfunctioning body. my big breakdown today was all about how i was sick and tired of my body not working. why do i have to have so many damn health problems? why do i have to spend my vacation visiting doctors and then getting cut open? why does the pharmacist and his team all know me by my first name?
honestly, it's just too much.
i can imagine that my birth plan will be very similar. i don't know if i could handle a miscarriage or a stillbirth. i know infertility. i'm used to it.
how sad is that?
I think I am a whole lot more demanding with my birth plan than yours. Mine is that we both come out alive. Sometimes, I even feel like that is so far fetched.
I know I won't believe it completely until I bring a baby home, to my house, alive and well.
The scars don't heal just because of pregnancy.
In my (obviously theoretical) understanding, the experience of pregnancy causes women in general to focus exclusively on the health and safety of the baby - an evolutionary mechanism to protect these vulnerable creatures. How much more so with a mother who has already lost so much. I can't wait for you to have a screaming kicking baby to hold.
it's scary business. even the "normal" gals are scared shitless (esp. the one whose partner walked out of the class... what up with that!!??)
a living breathing baby is everybody's plan and every mother will make peace with whatever had to be done to get that.
The fact you had a medicalized conception does not change the way you love and cherish your child, just as a medicalized birth doesn't change a woman's bond to her babe.
all these things do affect how WE feel about our bodies, however. but that is a minor, secondary concern in the grand scheme of things and it is something we can eventually find healing for too.
have fun with this class!
i totally get this! i felt the same in our class, like the freak sorta! i had the same prayer at the end and i told keith if it comes down to it pick ivy's life over mine! i am sure everything will go smoothly but i am sending you hugs and thoughts!
This birth plan sounds very reasonable to me. And do-able. But it sucks that you have to even think about other possibilities out there that without IF you'd probably not think about.
The beautiful unmedicated waterbirth I always imagined is now laughable. Next week I go for my first class -- the one on c-sections.
I will have no complaints either. I've had enough to complain about over the past 7 years.
Hope your subsequent classes are more enjoyable! Organic apples and rocking chairs sound pretty good.
Popping in from "First Comes Love" to find that you have a picture of MamaMoomin!!! I love the Moomintrolls.
The birth itself doesn't matter, the living-ness at the end does - I think that's a great focus. It is such a shame that the pain of IF taints the experience of the other side - it seems pretty common though. I think we end up pessimistically protecting ourselves against possible heartache.
*hugs*
Post a Comment