I don't know what exactly is up, but I've been off Synth@!d for two days and feel great. The dreaded eye twitching has stopped, I have lots of energy, my desire to eat everything in sight has passed, yadda yadda. I bet I'm still hyper, but coming down from my T4 high.
I had an acupuncture session that felt like someone was pumping me full of electric current. In a good way, if you can imagine that. There's a lovely point on the outer calf related to the stomach (the spleen's hollow buddy) called "Three Miles," and, as my dear acupuncturist explained to me, it gives you the energy if you're tired to walk another three miles. It sent sheets of warmth down to my feet and left behind an odd heat sensation for the rest of the day.
Today is one of those beautiful winter days when the night's wet snow sticks to every little branch, and the air is still but not too cold. I'm looking forward to tromping through said wet snow for a bit. I have little inclination to be an intellectual today, absolutely none. Somehow, I need something else.
This being a hippy-ridden college town, we have a natural birth center that runs adds on the local public radio station, touting their classes to "empower pregnant women." Every time I hear one of these ads, I want to let out a cynical "ha!" Not that I don't appreciate the help they give to women who may need it, or the community they create for women whose identities are tied up in the whole "natural" thing. I mean, shit, I used to be one of those gals, thinking that nature had a solution for me. And for all I know, it may, and more "natural" approaches to improving my cycles have helped me tremendously.
But I know, for one, that even if I get pregnant with twins from IVF and have a scheduled C-section, I won't be any less "empowered" for it. Nor will I lose my "empowered" status if I am a childfree mother to the whole damn world. A feminist way to fit into the traditional female role? A feminist means to promote the feminine mystique? Whatever. Most of the women leaders, organizers, activists, speakers, writers, and artists who got us where we are today weren't biomoms. Empower that.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Clap...
Clap...
Clap.clap.
clapclapclap
clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap
(Thunderous applause)
Io, you crack me up! Thanks so much for that belly laugh!
It seemed so appropriate for the end of your post! I was like NODDING and shit!
Post a Comment