Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Poor Thing

Warning: Morbid thoughts ahead.

We had to put our cat to sleep last (Wednesday) night. After some progress initially, she began to have some serious problems. There were no good outcomes on the horizon. When we went to the vet, it was like she was a different cat compared to yesterday morning. Her eyes were glassy and distant, her breathing labored, and we had already lost her. We knew in a second we were making the right call to let her go. Despite this confidence, I was basically hysterical. I couldn't take it.

After the vet put her out of her misery, we took her body home. Then we drove to our local lake and sat in the car sharing some Belgium beer and crying. My guy, bless him, was so present and loving and sad. We continued to talk a bit more about treatment ideas and approaches, which was, oddly enough, a real relief compared to recalling our poor little cat.

It's eerie how fast a being can move from life to death. I just felt--and feel--so sad that we didn't have more time together. She was a fairly young cat, and so very funny and loving, though with a serious attitude. We adopted her from the shelter almost exactly two years ago, along with a larger, meatier male (also black and fluffy) who's attempting to make himself comfortable on the keyboard at the moment. Amazing how hard it is to type when you're crying and you're fending off cat butt.

So far, 2008 is a bitch. It's just started, and already I'm sick of losing people and creatures I love. What I wouldn't do for something to turn out well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH my dear, I have tears in my eyes for you. I know exactly how painful it is to lose a pet; we lost our cat last year on my birthday and I do believe I've only now begun to really get over it. I am so very sorry you have lost your furry one. I hope 2008 turns a corner for you quickly.

Mrs.X said...

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. You did the right thing, but as in most situations, the right thing is also the hardest thing. I think some good old fashioned snuggling is in order from hubby and the other kitty. You need all the love you can get right now!

Io said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss. There just isn't anything else to say.