Friday, January 4, 2008

In Praise of Dad

I've been blessed with one of the most extraordinary men in the world for a father--and my mom's no slouch, either, but this one goes out to Dad.

Last night, my folks called to tell me what was up with a piano they're kindly having moved to our neck of the woods. I'm thrilled: We just got a whole bunch of recording equipment and the piano couldn't arrive at a better time. For some reason, I decided to talk a bit about our visit to the RE. My parents know more or less what we've been going though, though not all the sordid details. They knew we were headed to see a specialist. Anywho, I give my somewhat apathetic/skeptical/realistic take on the whole thing, and my dad comes back with, "I think you really need to think positively about this." I resisted, and somewhat gruffly tried to explain that, no, what I needed was not to be told how to feel. I also explained that the chances of CC+IUI actually working were very low, and that IVF may be a distinct possibility. We ended on a somewhat mutually frustrated note.

However, lo and behold, this morning I find the kindest, most perceptive email in my inbox. Overnight, my dad had figured out not only the grand maelstrom that is my emotions surrounding treatment, but had some actually helpful advice and an offer of help. He figured it out all by himself, and he came to me apologizing and trying to understand (AND succeeding).

I teared up, filled with love and gratitude for all that I have, all the resources that will get us through this mess.

2 comments:

Io said...

Yay for your Dad. He sounds really sweet to have gone off and researched like that. I'm worried that when I tell my dad he will not approve (he's very religious). Maybe I can borrow yours...

Mrs.X said...

How wonderful! My dad has been incredibly supportive (once I think he finally grasped how hard this is for me and how much we want it). It is such a gift to have that support.