My poor cat is in the kitty ICU. She had been ill for a while, but seemed to be on the mend when she took a turn for the worse this weekend and refused to eat and then drink. She's severely dehydrated and officially emaciated, and we had to leave her there to get IVs, tube feedings, etc. (Sorry, fellow crazy cat ladies, if this is TMI). As we came home from the vet, I felt this convulsion of grief grab my heart and squeeze it.
I realized that this spasm of sorrow was only a tiny fraction of what parents likely feel. How hard it must be to leave a child behind, in the hospital, without any way to explain why these awful things are happening. I mean, for Christ's sake, if I feel this heartbroken over my admittedly wonderful, fluffy little black cat, how will my heart ever bear more serious trials?
My weepiness is made sharper by the hormonal throes of my period which made an appearance of sorts this morning. It was just the faintest bit of spotting, but my powers of observation, honed over years of spot-watching, are keen enough to pick it up, and I feel that this is the beginning of something period-y. The tension irritating me over the last few days has dispersed (another sign of the impending march of the Reds), though I still feel moody. I need to fill my Cl0m1d script, find out if I can proceed with a manic 'roid, etc. Still, I must congratulate the hardworking organs involved for their stellar luteal phase performance: smooth, long, spot-free. One small victory, though the war is yet to be won.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm sending good purr vibes to your kitty. I hope she gets better. I'm sure she is in excellent hands and will be home soon.
I've often wondered how pet ownership (and loving) compares to that of children and whether it will be the same. I don't think that it would be - with kitties, their adult phase corresponds to most kids' toddler phase and so you tend to think of them as permanent toddlers. Whereas human children get older, and pretty early on can communicate how they are feeling. So, I wouldn't put yourself through the wringer as to how this would affect you if it were your child. It may be totally different.
And then there is the spot watch. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the sticker. Hopefully, the March of the Reds will fortell greater things to come.
I do think your thyroid deserves an Organ of the Month Award (assuming the thyroid has anything to do with the luteal phase).
Fellow cat lady here, sending my hopes that your baby gets better. I understand the exact feeling when you write "I felt this convulsion of grief grab my heart and squeeze it."
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. My dogs are my heart, and after losing one this past summer after15 years I know how bad the pain can be when they are ill. I hope she recovers well and soon.
I like how you refer to your period as The Red Army. With the PMS I get each month it definitely feels like I'm under attack. LOL
Mrs. X: I've noticed that as the thyroid goes, so goes the cycle, at least in my case. The fun thing about thyroid stuff is that everyone's symptoms are a little different.
All y'all: Thanks so much for your kind wishes! It really helps. The vet is focusing on getting her hydrated first, so they can see what's up. I bet she's feeling better; being completely liquid-free must not be much fun. The prognosis is pretty good.
Post a Comment