Friday, April 18, 2008

The Earth Moves

Earthquake! And I just felt an aftershock.

We woke at 5:30 this morning to what felt like a prolonged clap of thunder, only it was coming from underground. My guy and I bleerily looked at each other as the cats flipped out. "Earthquake," he said simply.

My heart pounded, though I knew we weren't in any danger. It was strangely exhilarating, to feel this great force of nature, the very ground beneath our feet, vibrating, resonating like a giant subwoofer. Nature usually slaps us Midwesterners around via clouds and wind and plagues of locusts, but not earthquakes.

I'm just awestruck.

Oh, and still no spotting.

11 comments:

luna said...

how bizarre -- this morning was the 102nd anniv. of the quake that rocked SF. believe it or not, there are still a few survivors who meet (with the progeny of the others) at a fountain downtown to commemorate it. earth movement is a pretty powerful thing.

no spotting is a good thing, right?

Shinejil said...

Wow! What an interesting coincidence. Thanks for sharing that, Luna.

And yes, no spotting is a very, very good thing.

the Babychaser: said...

Earthquakes are so cool. I grew up in Utah, where we had a couple I can remember. I was still a teenager--and therefore immortal--so it never occurred to me to be scared. Mostly I was just thrilled.

No spotting sounds good. How much longer is the wait?

alicia said...

Scary! I am glad you are all ok!

And yay no spotting!!

Mrs.X said...

Your uterus must now be made out of steel - not even an earthquake can get a spot out of you!

I just think it's so ironic that the potentially most dangerous fault in the US is not in California, but is in Missouri - the New Madrid. Go figure.

Glad you just got a little shaken, not stirred.

Paula Keller said...

About your previous post, clomid is much cheaper. It was around $40 a cycle. I didn't have a lot of side effects with clomid, except twitchy eyes (strange?). The FSH (I did Menopur) was more expensive. I also got HCG with it, and the first month HCG and Menopur (2 amps)were about $130? The sencond month the HCG and Monopur (4amps) was about $180. If I'm remembering correctly.

All together, we spent between $500 and $700 an IUI cycle. Sperm washing was billed by the labe and was $250!

I had MUCH better results the third month with clomid days 3-5 and Menopur on days 7 and 8. I had three good follicles, and lots of little ones. However, we don't think the sperm cooperated.

Also, no side effects with the Menopur for me.

The HCG always makes my breasts really sore. TMI?

Hope this helps!

Shinejil said...

Thanks, PJ, for your insights--esp. the heads up on the "washing" fee. I wish I could charge that much for the (non-sperm-related) washing I do...

I did a round of Clomid and it messed with my eyesight (a common side effect, apparently) and gave me the occasional hot flash. So I'm hoping that FSH would be less annoying, esp. on the vision front. But who knows?

Pamela T. said...

As I said on Miss E's blog which also felt the earth move, I've lived in California for nearly 12 years and the biggest earthquake I ever experienced was in Midland, Michigan! To those who would say, "I would never in live in California -- you get earthquakes" ... well other places do, too! Pretty wild experience isn't it? ;-)

TABI said...

Wow, scary! I have never been in an earthquake, accept emotionally (: Glad there is no spotting!!

Antigone said...

I'm jump in with some magical thinking.

It's an omen that the spotting is gone forever.

JellyBelly said...

last week i was awoken in the middle of the night by mr. JB having a nightmare. i woke up in a panic thinking that we were having an earthquake (something very rare for our part of the world!).

when i was 16 i went to LA with a friend and i was woken up by the house shaking. needless to say it's pretty scary.

yay for the no spotting! i wish i was as lucky as you this month.