Yesterday, I had a very odd experience that I'm not sure I can put into words.
I'll start with something more mundane, to set the stage. Yesterday evening, my advisor--a wonderful, nerdy Bostonian and a killer, ego-free scholar--had a bunch of grad students and foreign scholars over for dinner. Most of my fellow grad students are married to women from the Obscure Corner of the World. I used to joke, in fact, when I was back on the dating market after my divorce that I too was going to marry a woman from OCOW, as it seemed to be a requirement for the field. No one seemed to find this as funny as I did.
So, I began talking to one particular fellow student who just finished his MA thesis, a translation of an interesting but obscure set of legends from the 15th century. He bragged about a certain obscure publisher agreeing to publish his work. The green beast crawled up, grabbing me with its long, fine claws. It began to whisper, "You're working twice as hard as this arrogant idiot and are twice the scholar because you love what you do, not your own fucking ego, and he's getting a book and has a daughter. Grrr, hrrrm, rowl..."
I kindly congratulated my colleague and we started talking about how social anthropological theory proves unhelpful in our field, where so much basic research remains to be done, etc. Or that's what I was saying. He was going on about the lack of scientific rigor and how he was basically too smart for that jive. If I hadn't been so busy with the green beast, I might have had energy to knock the retarded chip off his shoulder.
And his daughter: She's very pretty, but oddly unloved. Oh, I'm sure both parents would declare their love for her, but it's hard to get love from a narcissist, and it somehow gleams in her eyes. Her presence has not made her parents, especially her father, happy. Her care is a duty, not a joy. That's really the dark secret of many parents: They may love their children, but they don't really like them that much. That realization banished the green beast and made me very, very sad for both her and my silly, self-centered colleague.
In my quiet battle with the green beast, I was helped by a very strange experience I had had on the walk over. I was wandering through the professorial ghetto, where the Priuses run free and the yards overflow with towering trees in bloom. Dozens of amazing scents wafted past me on the warm, strong wind: sticky sweet honey, powdery lilac. I suddenly felt an unexpected wave of the most perfect, complete joy, something so light and immaterial, that I felt like I could easily transfer it to anything I touched. I felt that I had been given a great gift, some kind of wild salvation that was always present but rarely heeded, and that it was transferable. I had no idea, and still don't, what exactly this gift is. But it was so buoyant and so...not about me as a selfish individual.
These sensations, recalled in the heat of battle with myself and my resentment of my infertility and my desire for recognition, brought the green beast swiftly to heel. Then my husband arrived, and we enjoyed the rest of the evening together.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
that little green beast is a bear. it's also amazing to me how many people have children just to *have* them and then take them for granted.
I'm glad you were able to tap into that unbridled joy -- you seem to be able to do that a lot. that is truly a gift. ~luna
You win, m'dear:
http://theonlybeeinyourbonnet.blogspot.com/2008/04/good-morning.html
You have perfectly summed up the battle that we all go through some times between the Green Monster and our own peace. And I'm so glad that you found your peace and can enjoy it. These moments are so fleeting, particularly in the situation that we find ourselves in.
I won't begin to claim that I know what your gift was, but for me it is just enjoying the fact of being - or mindfulness. Feeling the breeze, watching a butterfly. All of a sudden, you get the sense that you really don't mean a whole lot in the grander scheme and neither do your problems. So, your life isn't so bad.
I also try to remind myself when I meet people like your fellow student that I have no idea what they have been through. I don't know their history, their hopes, their dreams no more than they know about me. So, even if they appear to have everything that I want, I wouldn't want to be them. I wouldn't want to have a daughter who I ignore. I wouldn't want to publish a book if the trade off is being an insufferable bore and narcissist.
I guess I remember that all is not what it seems and I have a handful enough dealing with my problems let alone worrying about whether someone else has a perfect life.
Of course, for me, this is a work in progress. I'm a work in progress. Always.
ps- I loved the images of Priuses running free like those women in 70s tampon commercials.
What a wonderfully helpful post. Your imagery brought me right there with you. It reminded me again that even when those around us get the easy path to their dreams (without any clue of their good fortune) that those of us on the harder path get our own rewards in unexpected and beautiful ways.
I don't know exactly why, but the last part of your post left me with tears in my eyes. I guess it just goes to show that in the middle of this screwed up world of ours, & all the crap we sometimes have to deal with, there is still joy & beauty to be found, if we just take the time to look for it & appreciate it. Thanks for the reminder!
I'm so glad that you were able to kick the green beast into touch!
I decided a while ago to stop obsessing about what everyone else was publishing. What is important to me is the quality of my writing and my teaching. I also have faith that what goes around comes around - sooner or later people see through the crap that a lot of grad students spout (Aliza Shvarts being a case in point).
I am happy for your moment of revelation amongst the priuses!
You are such a strong soul, and you find amazing ways to appreciate the beauty of this world even in the most unfair situations.
Post a Comment