Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Very superstitious

[cue that awesome line from the Stevie Wonder song]

So, I was sure that me writing my oh so positive post about being spot-free would scare the Dread Pirate Spot out from his lair. In fact, I almost didn't mention it, convinced I'd jinx myself.

But guess what! I'm still crazy, of course, but I was wrong. Clear as a whistle.

You see, in the past, I swore there was a connection between me mentioning to some very, very close friend--like my bestest buddy from New York who is both herbalist and physician's assistant--and it starting the next day, or even the next hour. At the end of my cycle, I knew that even entertaining the happy thought of possible pregnancy would equal icky spots the next morning. Sort of like the magical, period-beckoning powers of the peestick.

I guess we humans are hard wired to start making up weird rules and interconnections when we face a situation that defies our logic and runs out of our control. I'm having a hard time believing that the surgery actually helped, that after years of being told nothing was clear and nothing could be done, that it's done. Just like that. Problem solved, more or less. This little, awful thing that was torturing me, riddling my worst hours with thoughts of life-threatening diseases and permanent sterility, might be over. I still can't embrace this thought, fully, for fear that I'll get kicked in the gut by some silly streaks on the toilet paper. Such a little thing, and yet it's held such a big place in my life.

10 comments:

Mrs.X said...

Ah, great Stevie song. I'm always amazed at how many different "superstitions" he works in there - 13 month-old baby, breaks the looking glass, 7 years bad luck.." and of course, the riff! Thanks for sticking that one in my ear as I try to write.

I totally understand about superstitions. My therapist calls it magical thinking. You are absolutely right, though about why we do it. All we go through with infertility takes away our notion of control - no, you can't have a baby when you want! - such that we start using magical thinking as a means of trying to control things or to know our fate.

We know its bunk, but still we do it. Mine was believing that I would get pregnant in October 2007 since a friend who had had her first pregnancy end in miscarriage in April (see the parallels?) got pregnant in October and made it through. That didn't happen.

I now can recognize magical thinking when I start doing it, and I can for the most part just kind of wave to it and let it go. Sometimes, though, it still is too powerful.

Yay for no intermediate spotting! The only spotting you should be seeing is on the cows (assuming of course you actually see cows in your neck 'o the woods).

nancy said...

I do that all the time - try to make associations for things I can't make any sense of. Like "if the phone rings in the next 3 minutes, it will be good news. After 3 minutes - shit". "if the next car to drive by is blue ..."

And one day, I'm going to make one of my silly superstitious 'predictions' and it's going to come out true and I'm going to swear by it. Nevermind the other 4,387 times is didn't work.

alicia said...

That is great that the spotting is staying away!! I don't want to jinx it either, but I am happy for you!

Anonymous said...

I have such a strong feeling for you this spring. I truly think it's going to be a magical season for you. How's that for jinxing something? I think this surgery was the thing that is going to turn everything around.

Jen said...

That is definitely a good sign!

Denise said...

Oh, I do that all the time. I've been thinking a lot about adoption lately and whether we should start looking into things, but I'm afraid that if we do that it will "curse" our IF treatments and they will fail because of it. I know this is completely unrealistic and yet...why chance it?

Ms Heathen said...

It is so very hard not to attach larger significance to what are in all likelihood random coincidences.

I'm so glad to hear that the spotting appears to have gone - it's such a positive sign.

Pamela T. said...

IF brings with it all kinds of new superstitions...no doubt about it!

the Babychaser: said...

IF makes the most grounded of us (not something I ever claimed to be) incredibly superstitious, largely because we have no fucking CONTROL over whether our current procedure is going to work! ARRGGHHH!!! No wonder we look to God, or magic, or third-grade jinxes.

Antigone said...

After so much disappointment, it's incredibly natural to expect more of the same.