I was seriously disappointed, without ever realizing I would be, after last month. I hoped against hope that I'd get some kind of cosmic confirmation that the surgery was the final step, and that now that the last hurdles were removed, my body could take over.
This month, I'm acting as if I'm barren as the moon (as Pamela Jeanne so eloquently put it in one of her rip-roaring takes on a mommy article). As if the only way I'll ever get pregnant is to blast my belly with super drugs, and even then maybe not. I doesn't mean I'm doing lines or tequila shots; just telling myself no, sorry, just forget about that possibility. It's been three years, dear, so swallow your pride, suck it up, and do something else until you reach your injection date. Which will likely be August for logistical and economic reasons.
So that's what I've been doing: plowing away at the dis, trying to write about a related wacko topic for an article a friend asked me to submit to the journal she's editing, working for money (what a novel concept!), planting a gazillion potatoes, forcing myself to run up the steep-ass hills near our house. I have no option but to act as if I didn't give a flying rat's ass about my empty womb. And somehow, I feel a lot happier for it.
One thing that triathletes talk about is mental toughness. I think it's like a muscle; you can develop your toughness and cultivate as a resource to get you through the times when you must suffer circumstances out of your control. So I've been working on that. I've learned it's different from browbeating yourself for not doing something or feeling guilty for taking a break. It's about guiding yourself to a place where you can do all you need to do, without that much payback and reward. It's the kind of steadiness that gets you up that hill, even when you would prefer at the moment to keel over panting like a drunk dog. You don't deny it hurts, but you keep going for just a few more moments...
Friday, May 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
I could use some mental toughness too! But what a great way to help get you through the summer until your next drugged cycle. Good luck with all your training!
great post. I think I'm acting as if too, though I'm past the shots in the belly working and I'm not training for a triathalon. I just feel like I have no choice but to try to be a full person with what I've got, without being a mother. and pretend that my empty womb doesn't ache.
I also had that disappointment and frustration after my last surgery, thinking that's what it was going to take to "fix" my defective body parts. nope. and yeah, that sucks.
I have found myself in that space before. Shit, I find myself there now. I just have to focus elsewhere, 'cos the working on making a baby crap just isn't happening, and now isn't going to happen until much later. So I throw myself into gardening, and run-walk on my treadmill and fight with my husband and dig and hack at brush and fall headlong into anything else I can think of to not have to focus on the lack of activity in this other area of my life.
A timely post, dear. Very timely.
I keep thinking that one of these days all the disappointment will turn into a callus and I won't be bothered much the next time life runs its sandpaper over me.
I wish you the best of luck in convincing yourself that it just.is.not.possible. this next month. I think it does help me a little not to have that hope there each month.
And hey! I'd be happy to help distract you sometime!
Back before I became a fat slob of a dead baby mama, I was athletic and ran marathons. I remember mental toughness. For me it was about eliminating options. Quitting, walking, falling to the ground: not options. Knowing that my mind quits, not my body.
Fantastic metaphor for the pregnancy journey.
I can SO relate to this post! I hope that this weekend gets your mind off if things.
I know exactly how you feel. I used to console myself with the notion that I would some day get pregnant. Now, I recognize that it's still a possibility, but by no means set in stone. Who know how this will all play out. And, for the first time, I'm ok with that.
I have no doubt that your mental muscle is of Schwarzenegger proportions already. Hopefully you won't have to exercise it very often.
What a great post - you are exactly right. I call it working on my resilience. It's as painful as running up hills. Totally sucks. I hope you are proud of yourself.
(here via NaComLeavMo)
I know what you mean about keeping going - what does scare me is the realisation that sooner or later I'll stop. (treatment that is) - and that we have to give up on that which we hold so dear. I'm not sure if I'm tough, probably just stupid!
I never (almost never) try to conceive in my "off" months. For me, so that I can feel constructive during that time, I focus on healing my body and getting into shape, almost like I'm in training for the next cycle.
Of course, you always seem like you're in GREAT shape. But maybe you can find a mental/spiritual/emotional project. That way, you're not in a "non-trying" period, you're just in training for the next big thing.
Good luck. Finding peace within your own mind is precious, and very diffucult.
Mental toughness. I think I like that term better than "plowing through" or "just surviving." Especially as it relates to my SIL's pregnancy.
Thanks for sharing the term. I think I will be using that from now on!
It's easy for me, now on the other side, to say that mental toughness is required and beneficial. When I was going through treatment, in my more lucid moments, I thought how all of it was making me a stronger person. We (as a community) are dealing with/have dealt with an extremely difficult lot in our lives, and need to find strenght when we can. I'm glad that you're looking for that toughness - it makes all of this crap a bit more bearable.
Wow, a triathalon, I'm very impressed!
I love the triathlon analogy. I have done one that was Olympic distance, and plan to do others once I have my body back (which should be soon!) Mental toughness, focus, ignoring the pain, getting up that hill.... basically getting stronger. It's a good thing.
Mental toughness is a hard thing to come by during times like this. Good for you for doing something about it.
Wow, that last paragraph is very moving. You've stated it beautifully.
Shinejil, that is an awesome post, but your last paragraph kicks *ss. I am working on the mental toughness, but isn't it so easy to fall into the "but I've been through so much, I deserve to take a break (eat that cookie/not go to the gym/insert any non-productive activity here)? I've been doing that far too much lately.
Thank you for that timely kick in the pants.
Post a Comment