Friday, May 9, 2008

Taggity, tagged, tag

Oh, that Kate! She done tagged me. With a meme that fills me with horror at my complete inability to remember what I was doing five, ten years ago. The yesterday part isn't too rough. Great historian, right?

Well, here goes...

Four things I ten years ago:

1. I got a job working for a really cool non-profit concert presenter and got to hear more global music than you can shake a stick at. My favorite moment from that job: Going to check up on a very sweet Indian musician who was about four feet tall, but who still very politely complained about the size of his petit NYC hotel room. I apologized, swallowing a big ol' belly laugh.

2. I lived on the Lower East Side and played at various, now defunct cool rock clubs in various bands.

3. I met the actors and musicians who introduced me to the Obscure Corner of the World. They blew my mind and set me on a new course in life, at a time when I wasn't sure what to do with myself.

4. I drove to Newfoundland with my first husband (nice guy, bad match, now working in biology for the Smithsonian, we're still on good terms) and we nearly missed our marriage celebration. We had taken his mom's old car to the island--one of the most amazing places on Earth-- all the way from NYC, and driven it down a hundred miles of gravel roads to a tiny fishing town where you can watch the icebergs drift down from the Arctic. As we prepared to leave the next day, the car wouldn't start. We got a tow to the next big town thanks to a nice local guy who had welded his own trailer, and we waited anxiously, staring out at the ocean, for our car to be fixed. They said it might take days, but they did it in hours, smiling dryly as they told us they hadn't wanted to get our hopes up. That was also the trip I drove to the ferry back to mainland Canada--several hours--without a license, due to absolute fatigue on ex-hub's part. All in all, a real adventure.

Four things I did 5 years ago:

1. I got officially divorced from Nice Guy.

2. I went to Obscure Corner of the World--yet again. Was that the summer I interned at a women's rights organization? The summer with all the forest fires? Or the one I made out with the hot Polish guy on the train? They all run together.

3. I got myself involved in a really passionate, deeply problematic long-distance (and then not long-distance) relationship with a sculptor in an E. European city. It went on and on, until I couldn't take it anymore and broke it off more than a year later. We're still good friends; he's still brilliant but kind of crazy.

4. I was really fucking depressed, drinking a lot, fooling around as the drunken urge hit me, living in a little bungalow at the edge of town, cursing my fate. All while working several jobs and taking a full grad course load. No wonder I drank so much.

Four things I did yesterday:

1. I had a kick-ass acupuncture session specifically working on fertility. It felt fantastic, and I took one of those deep, refreshing naps that is like a cool glass of clear water on a blazing hot day. This is the first time, I think, we've worked on fertility because I'm finally in some kind of balance.

2. I watched a couple episodes of Northern Exposure on DVD while cuddling with my guy, the love of my life. That makes any TV show better.

3. I made sure our tomato plants weren't too waterlogged with all the rain we've gotten lately.

4. I wrote a couple pages of my dis, about the use of ethnographic material in theater in this one remote area of the OCOW and how it contrasts with... oh, you get the picture.

To all a good weekend!

3 comments:

Denise said...

I love Northern Exposure. Mix with cuddling with the love of your life, can't beat that!

luna said...

you have had such an interesting life, so far!

alicia said...

I love all your adventures! I really wish in knew you in real life, it would be so neat to listen to all your stories for a few hours!