I have very odd dreams. Though I haven't been having many the past few days--too busy arranging my puffy self in some quasi-comfortable position--some dreams I had a year or a few months ago have come to mind. So, why not write about them?
One I had about a year and a half ago. I dreamed I somehow painlessly removed something soft and jellyfishlike from my body, something alien that was causing me to spot. It was like those spirit surgeons in Asia: I just gently put my hand inside my abdomen and pulled out this benign thing that had grown in the wrong place. I remember thinking, damn, if only I'd know it was that simple...
One I had more recently began in what I knew was an RE's office. I think this was after we had our first consult with Dr. Spunk. He was telling me something I didn't want to hear, and I was really upset. I didn't like the options being presented to me, but I didn't want to cry, because after all, it wasn't worse than what many women hear (I don't remember what the issue was). He left the room and I was sitting there, tears beginning to come on. Then suddenly, a door at the back of the office swung open and I noticed a road with several lanes leading up a steep hill, cars speeding by. But then I also noticed something much more interesting: A small, thin, green path that wove under and around the road, perfect for pedestrians (I'm always on the lookout for a better route on foot). The path was hidden and rarely used but led up that same hill. I went out the door and began to climb it, almost reaching the top when I woke up.
And a night or two ago, I dreamed I got a letter from an academic publisher. It was filled with little slips of paper, little notes. Someone, I eventually deciphered, wanted to read my work. They had put several little handwritten and illustrated letters in with what appeared to be a standard rejection letter.
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
While my husband thinks all dreams mean something, I'm of the opinion that sometimes they mean something and sometimes they are just random thoughts.
I tend to dream about falling, whether it is myself, or something else. A lot of times I dream of my car rolling down a hill. Thus, the compulsive need to use the emergency break ANYWHERE when stopped! But, I know those dreams are about not having control.
I think your RE dream means something. If I had to guess, it would be taking the slower route to your destination. One step at a time - or something like that.
Every once in a while I have one of those strange and inspirational dreams, the kind where, whether they mean anything or not, provide me with a sense of peace and wonder.
It's been a long time since I've had one. (But, like PJ, I have dreams about falling all the time.)
I don't remember my dreams often but there are some that stand out much like those you describe. What stuns me is how capable our subconscious is of teasing out our hopes and fears and creating such intensely vivid landscape to present them back to us.
P.S. thanks for the added bonus of the hefty advance along with the acceptance letter. Did I tell you yours comes with a five book deal -- paid upfront?
Post a Comment