Thursday, May 15, 2008

Just Call Me Puffy

I think I'll take Antigone's advice and enjoy myself by scaring little children and innocent buffet goers with weird puffy eyes--it's after noon, so they're open beyond slits--and gross boils. I definitely gave my acupuncturist a good startle when I whipped off my shades to reveal my full puffy splendor.

Of course, there's always a strong vein of humor running through everything in my life. The aforementioned sunglasses were the only shades I could find. I have a kind of cute pair I picked up in Italy a few years ago, but no, they're AWOL. Only their butt-ugly buddies, these cheapo mirror shades for a much larger headed person, were easy to locate. The ugly dudes are the kind of reflective sunglasses favored by sunburned, buzz cut-sporting guys cutting corporate lawns or directing traffic around construction sites. So for the past few days, I've been running around with two long braids, these stupid shades, long sleeves and a missing tooth (implant coming soon). I look insane.

At least my husband still loves me. He's been taking good care of me, buying me skeins of gauze to wrap myself in, making food, kissing my puffy face.

And one more good thing: no thinking about infertility whilst smitten by boils.

8 comments:

loribeth said...

Awww, I'm sorry you're in such rough shape -- but glad your dh is taking such good care of you. I have some mold allergies (along with dust, grass & tree pollen), but have never broken out in boils -- just stuffy head & itchy, watery eyes.

My boss has a big puffy black eye right now -- first hit her head & then got stung by a wasp. She's allergic & although she got hold of some Benadryl fairly quickly, she still puffed up. Yikes!

kate said...

heh. man, I LOVE me some fugly sunglasses. I desperately refuse to buy prescription sunglasses, and I also refuse to buy the enormous wraparound thingys so favored by the Senior Citizen set, and so I try to find the biggest and most hideous sunglasses that will fit over my own glasses without being all wonky. Yeah! Love me some ugly shades!

And dude. So sorry you're still all swolly and stuff. I agree. Scare children, etc.

nancy said...

You know - a lot of popular figures in history have been called "puff"

There is puff the magic dragon

Puff in Stuff

Puff Daddy. P diddy, puff, puffy - all same guy.

um

and you.

see?

VERRRRY popular to be puffy.

nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Why do I suddenly have this image of E.rik E.stra.da in CHiPs with them big sunglasses?

Sorry to hear about the puffiness ... I totally hate allergies, especially the spring moldy variety. Spring is beautiful ... but it wreaks havoc on my body! Feel better soon and make sure hubby keeps caring for you!

Denise said...

Hey, Puffy. How long does the reaction typically last? I hope you recover soon!

luna said...

hope it clears up soon!!

and thanks for your message before!

Paula Keller said...

Here's to butt-ugly sunglasses! Everbody has 'em!

Heal quickly.