Friday, May 30, 2008

A new definition of tired

You know all that stuff I said I had to get done? The press releases, article, dissertation bits, etc.? I'm more or less done with it all. And yesterday's training royally kicked my sad butt to the curb: A 5 k up and down our lovely hilly streets followed by 1500 m in the pool. Who thinks this stuff up? Why have I put myself at the mercy of these Y sadists?

I woke up this morning feeling oddly hungover for someone who hasn't had a drink since Tuesday evening (my folks were in town, and Mom made me one of her killer gin and tonics). As if my quads and gluts had sneaked off in the night and gone on a bender. No matter how much water I drank, I was still thirsty. It took me hours to begin to feel human or to eat, even though I was starving.

Somehow in all this, however, I did my man a favor. We were out of sugar, so I rode my bike 2 miles or so to the grocery store because he desperately needed to finish a project before heading in to work. It felt like my body was already in such an odd state that a bit more strain really wouldn't make any difference, as if I'd clambered up a sheer cliff to a plateau where it didn't really matter what I did. The bike ride functioned like the hair of the dog: I could finally eat something (a Boca Burger and celery and some blueberries) and think straight.

Tomorrow? A 55 minute bike ride plus 2-3 mile run. At 7 am.

16 comments:

loribeth said...

eeeekkkkkkk

Paula Keller said...

You are a sporty rock star!


Mmmmm... Boca Burgers! Reminds me that I like them and should eat them more often.

luna said...

glad you got your stuff done, but geez, hope you give yourself a break too. that g&t sounded good.

Sam said...

I have nothing to say except to say that you're crackers!!! ;-)

And you put me to shame - I really must get running again - my leg is better now and I can procrastinate no longer!!

Denise said...

I am exhausted just reading this. You're my hero.

Io said...

You are mad. And madly fantastic. But mostly mad I think. Good for you.

Mrs.X said...

I've never heard of an exercise hangover, but that is actually what it sounds like.

I suspect your quads are secretly meeting to figure out how to mutiny. FYI.

Miss Feisty said...

Hola from NCLM!

Can I say that you are my hero? I die when I run a few miles...much less running, swimming & biking all in one day?!?

I'm very impressed & in deep admiration! :)

Sharon LaMothe said...

Just reading this exhausted me! YOU GO GIRL!!
hugs from Sharon NCLM

momofonefornow said...

nclm


ok, that is a grueling schedule.

Erin said...

NCLM here, that sounds crazy to me, but then I have never been much of an athletic person!

sara said...

Over from NCLM, good luck with the training! I miss my running now that I'm on bedrest. Run a few more miles for me okay? You are a super nice wife to go get your husband his stuff :-) I hope you don't have anymore exercise hangovers. Oh yeah, I had a Boca yesterday, my freezer has a pretty elaborate stash these days :-)

Erin said...

Wow. Good on ya!
The only thing that cures my hangovers is sleep, a little sleep, and some sleep.

Antigone said...

Warn me next time and I'll stand out on the street with gatorade in hand.

JellyBelly said...

ugh.

i feel your pain shinejil. perhaps it's a progesterone hangover or bad allergies or just the end of the school year, but i'm beat. i took two naps yesterday, lay around the house today (i didn't want to risk re-injuring my IT band so i skipped an awesome yoga class) and i still feel exhausted. but instead of pushing myself i'm going to listen to my body and chill out. taking naps and not pushing myself is what i need right now AND it won't impress anyone if i get injured or rundown.

right??

kate said...

I so don't do 7 am. My friend asked the other night whether or not I would consider exercising in the morning as a way to keep up my routine during the hectic work/school week. I said that if someone put a gun to my head and said that I could work out in the early AM or never, that I would just end up gaining 800 lbs because I just can't move myself in the morning.

You are a total asskicker, and make me wish I COULD do the early morning thing, just so I could train as dedicatedly as you do.